F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

USB Flash Drive Ignition Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pittsm
I have an 03 f4i, how much you thinking?
+1

I'd definitely pay for a kit like this, let me know

Old 10-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

I want to try and see if I can do this to my F4. So I would need to find out the correct voltage is needed? could I use a multimeter? Does the F4 even have the same anti-theft device? Thanks and this is really cool!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:32 AM

Yeah I would also pay for a kit like this for my bike I love the idea

Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 AM

Please don't take this wrong because I think this is a really cool mod. I'd just caution anyone who does this mod not to place too much confidence in its ability to keep your bike safe from thieves. I saw a video of a motorcycle that was parked on the side of the road, steering locked, and a disc lock on the front wheel. A pickup truck pulled up next to the bike, 4 guys got out of the truck, threw the bike into the bed of the truck, and hauled ***. From the time the truck came to a stop to the time they rolled away a total of 8 seconds passed.

8 seconds!

Once these guys get your bike back to their garage they won't give two ***** about the flash drive mod, they'll just part it out and you'll still be fighting with the insurance company.

Again, I'm not trying to diminish the awesomeness of your efforts. I'd just like to caution everyone to think carefully about where they park and give much consideration to the security measures taken to keep your precious ride safe.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sparkman
Please don't take this wrong because I think this is a really cool mod. I'd just caution anyone who does this mod not to place too much confidence in its ability to keep your bike safe from thieves. I saw a video of a motorcycle that was parked on the side of the road, steering locked, and a disc lock on the front wheel. A pickup truck pulled up next to the bike, 4 guys got out of the truck, threw the bike into the bed of the truck, and hauled ***. From the time the truck came to a stop to the time they rolled away a total of 8 seconds passed.

8 seconds!

Once these guys get your bike back to their garage they won't give two ***** about the flash drive mod, they'll just part it out and you'll still be fighting with the insurance company.

Again, I'm not trying to diminish the awesomeness of your efforts. I'd just like to caution everyone to think carefully about where they park and give much consideration to the security measures taken to keep your precious ride safe.
yep, where you park is the biggest thing. If i know i'm going somewhere where the parking may be shady or in a bad part of town, i'll drive my truck instead. and at night my bike is tucked away in my garage.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by sparkman

8 seconds!

No I completely agree with you on what you're saying. Mine was stolen when I went out for lunch at 2pm, security cams caught nothing.

Because many of you are interested in a kit for this mod, I'm pricing parts, making installation as simple as possible and trying to think of any possible setbacks. One problem is that the internal resistors in the ignition are still active, my setup only has a 30 Amp switch for an ignition and the USB security attached. I would like the user to be able to use their original key/ignition in case they loose the flash drive. I don't think I can do that, without a hidden switch. I'm disassembling my ignition tomorrow to see if I can locate a good solution to do this.

If you wanted an all USB security ignition then you'd simply splice one wire of my kit to red, cut pink from the ignition wires and connect to 2nd kit wire, mount (or hide!) the USB receptacle and plug in the modified Flash drive. In this case the anti-theft system would rely entirely on the USB setup. Now If the pink wire is cut with enough room to spare between the ignition and usb wire, you could reconnect the pink wire, in case of USB failure, to the ignition and use your own key.

Latest Design:

Ignition will look normal, it is spliced/cut in a low stealthy spot instead of an obvious one. I'll Split the pink wire in two, one half connected to the USB power-out, and the other is connected to a hidden switch that will connect the original OEM pink wires back to default in place as a backup for USB failure. Any better ideas? I'll make the kits simply with just about 2 gel wire splicers and then hot gluing/mounting the USB receptacle. You could mount the receptacle anywhere, under the handlebars, under the seat with a cord to hide, in the trunk (with the ignition backup switch), or anywhere else. I finally got my bike running wonderfully after replacing the water pump, so I'll upload some video asap of a general overview. Thanks

Last edited by jacksla3; 10-14-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 PM

My final project on this idea involves remote start. I already have the electronics figured out, it's the wireless sending/receiving I'm lost on. This is my ideal USB key/Remote.

USB 2.0 Flash Memory 4GB Stick Pen Drive Car keys AYI | eBay

Here are some of the parts I was considering for the USB key kits Blue/Black/White/ and Silver. Any feedback is welcome.

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-FT-NEW-USB-2-0-MALE-AM-M-FEMALE-F-EXTENSION-CABLE-/220646841361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335f93 9c11#ht_500wt_1396[/url]

And the USB receiver will be similar to this picture. The plug on the right side is the receptacle, It can be mounted pretty much everywhere. You guys tell me what you want and think about it all so far.

Last edited by jacksla3; 10-14-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
I want to try and see if I can do this to my F4. So I would need to find out the correct voltage is needed? could I use a multimeter? Does the F4 even have the same anti-theft device? Thanks and this is really cool!
That I'm not sure about, might just be 01'+ model. Look into it and let me know if it does in fact have anti-theft wiring. Then I could help ya

Old 10-14-2011, 11:27 PM

I still can't drop the DIY remote start idea. I found this, 1CH Latch Mode RF Wireless Controller - top electronics

It's only 3 amps, ignition runs up to 30 amps. So I want to take a separate line from the ignition circuit, use the remote RF receiver to activate a relay that could handle 30 A load to crank the engine. I could use that same concept, have one button to activate the bike electronics, and the other button to turn the starter. I'd have to bypass the theft-system, if only temporarily, so I could warm it up for 5 min in winter and it auto-shutdown. Anyone know how to accomplish that? I need a specific timed relay, and the only think that comes to mind are the wall timers for lamps. Then again I build a electric scooter/bike with light switches and moto/car batteries as a kid. Eh, maybe get a 4 button remote for electonics, starter, cut off, and .. idk horn haha.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember that sales have to go in the classifieds section, and you'll need 100posts to sell. (which shouldn't be hard... you're moving right along...)

On the USB idea itself.... I think it was a cool solution to the problem. However, I don't really see how it's helpful if you still have a stock ignition. A second hidden kill switch might be a good deterrent, tho.

Quick Reply: USB Flash Drive Ignition Key