F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

USB Flash Drive Ignition Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Slick is right!

Are you going to remove the keyed ignition completely?

You say you can remove the USB after the bike is started....just wondering if you can re-start it if you accidentally stall or would you need to put the USB back in?
No I think I'm going to replace the ignition either with a stock one, or some type of switch. I can't run the main ignition wires through the USB they would melt it from powering the accessories/etc. Being a techie I always thought a fingerprint scan would be the best ignition but they are too expensive. I'd like more than just a switch though.. I guess I need to think some more. I'm also not sure if it will restart after being cut on, I don't think so but stalling has never been a problem for me at least. I'll test that out when I get back to the shop

Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 PM

You could pull one of those finger scanners off one of those cheap gateway laptops we have them at my work theyre pretty awesome i dont know how you could go about doing it but that would be a cheap way to do a print scanner ignition if you could get it to work and you could find one of those laptops pretty cheap used online... just throwin that idea out there. let us know if its possible would be a cool mod for anyone afraid of losing their bike to some of those bastards out there

Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 PM

are you going to try and sell this concept?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Neat idea, but Im a little confused. How did the theifs steal your bike with a screwdriver hammerd into the ignition? I can't count how many bikes came into my dealership from ppl trying this same thing and it not working leaving the owner with his bike but the ignition hammerd out. Stock ignitions work the same way as your USB, a certain amount of current is taken out and the computer doesn't get the full 12v signal thats originally sent to the cylinder.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by sly280z
You could pull one of those finger scanners off one of those cheap gateway laptops we have them at my work theyre pretty awesome i dont know how you could go about doing it but that would be a cheap way to do a print scanner ignition if you could get it to work and you could find one of those laptops pretty cheap used online... just throwin that idea out there. let us know if its possible would be a cool mod for anyone afraid of losing their bike to some of those bastards out there
You would need the whole laptop to use a fingerprint scanner, operating system to control the input, memory to store it, processor to analyze. It'd be a huge pain trying to do that DIY.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mike.bucci
are you going to try and sell this concept?
I've considered it, I only know the specifics of the 2001-2006 f4i but I could make kits if I wanted.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Neat idea, but Im a little confused. How did the theifs steal your bike with a screwdriver hammerd into the ignition? I can't count how many bikes came into my dealership from ppl trying this same thing and it not working leaving the owner with his bike but the ignition hammerd out. Stock ignitions work the same way as your USB, a certain amount of current is taken out and the computer doesn't get the full 12v signal thats originally sent to the cylinder.
He didn't hammer a screwdriver into the keyhole, he took a steel flat tool like a rod and hammered the whole cylinder down out of the back. After that theres just a plastic slot you can turn to operate the ignition. And yes I implemented the same feature that exists in the ignition to control the voltage, the only difference is I can take the USB with me. So unless a thief carries diodes and resistors around in his pocket he's outta luck.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I want something like this but one that accepts my own flash drive. May be a bit awkward in cold weather but if it helps protect the old dear from unscrupulous thieves I'd be happy to flash my drive in any kind of weather. Not sure what would be the best place to mount the socket though. Any thoughts?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 PM

i think you should patent this idea if it hasnt already been done before.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by jacksla3
I've considered it, I only know the specifics of the 2001-2006 f4i but I could make kits if I wanted.
I have an 03 f4i, how much you thinking?

Quick Reply: USB Flash Drive Ignition Key