F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

URGENT HELP! Side of the road not starting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

squeeze the thing to unlatch and just rock it back and forth, you can get a flat head and put it in the slot and twist to help persuade and pry it.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM

ALRIGHT!! good news.. got the harness apart, seems that there is some corrosion on the green wire pin and the green wire socket* (recieving side). causing a weak connection. I can get the bike started now, headlight turns on, fuel pump primes.. although the high beam isnt able to turn on.. it flickers then dies (im assuming because of the bad connection point).

my question... can i just cut the green wire from each end of the harness and wire them straight to eachother?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Boost
ALRIGHT!! good news.. got the harness apart, seems that there is some corrosion on the green wire pin and the green wire socket* (recieving side). causing a weak connection. I can get the bike started now, headlight turns on, fuel pump primes.. although the high beam isnt able to turn on.. it flickers then dies (im assuming because of the bad connection point).

my question... can i just cut the green wire from each end of the harness and wire them straight to eachother?
You could but if I were you I'd clean off the harness contacts and receptacle. You could use some type of spray solvent, with a fine wire brush, or wrap a bit of sandpaper around each pin and give them a resurfacing. I'd probably find a small screwdriver or tool that fits in the receptacle holes, wrap the end of the tool with fine sandpaper and twist it around 5-6 times each hole and spray it to wash out the rust dust. I wouldn't wire it directly, it would be a pain in the future. And could disconnect if done improperly

Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by jacksla3
You could but if I were you I'd clean off the harness contacts and receptacle. You could use some type of spray solvent, with a fine wire brush, or wrap a bit of sandpaper around each pin and give them a resurfacing. I'd probably find a small screwdriver or tool that fits in the receptacle holes, wrap the end of the tool with fine sandpaper and twist it around 5-6 times each hole and spray it to wash out the rust dust. I wouldn't wire it directly, it would be a pain in the future. And could disconnect if done improperly
thanks man, this is exactly what i decided to do. went to autozone and picked up some crc qd electrical cleaner.. working well so far. Got it wired up and rode it around the block and shes running strong (phew). Still not the best connection so i left her apart and im gonna continue to clean the harness tomorrow with some sand paper like you suggested.

appreciate all the help! hell of a first thread for me to start with! maybe after this, i can actually get pics of the bike up!