CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   urgent! headlights just stopped working (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/urgent-headlights-just-stopped-working-136056/)

Wants a CBR 03-27-2012 05:04 PM

urgent! headlights just stopped working

01 model year, stock. Were working on my way home a couple hours ago. Went for a ride, just now and noticed my high beam light wasn't on. Looked closer and no headlights. Fuse is fine, swapped it out anyway and still no headlights. Everything else works fine, and they are plugged in. Please help me as I'm am down to this being my only transportation and its dark when I leave for work.

74demon 03-27-2012 05:09 PM

pull the bulbs to see if they burned out. if both bulbs are, i'd be looking at the charging system to see if its over charging. the r/r may be applying to much voltage through the system.

good luck
demon

Wants a CBR 03-27-2012 05:37 PM

High beam indicator flickered on startup, shut it off and fired it up again and they worked. I guess there is a wire for the headlights on the throttle side?

3v1lj03 03-27-2012 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wants a CBR (Post 1144445)
High beam indicator flickered on startup, shut it off and fired it up again and they worked. I guess there is a wire for the headlights on the throttle side?

the headlight is connected thru the starter button could be causing your problem mine did that

estate4life 03-27-2012 05:39 PM

Is there a headlamp relay??

74demon 03-27-2012 05:41 PM

check the starter switch, inside the housing.

MadHattr059 03-27-2012 05:42 PM

The headlights are on a relay that turns them off when the starter engages. Thus assuring the starter/ignition gets sufficent current to do their job.

Check the connectors to the headlights and follow them back to through to the battery, looking for any loose, corroded, or faulty wiring issues.

Good luck, Ern

gotcbr 03-27-2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 3v1lj03 (Post 1144446)
the headlight is connected thru the starter button could be causing your problem mine did that

Wants a CBR,
While this may or may not be your problem...
The starter switch in the F4/F4i models are prone to this problem. Be sure that your starter switch is returning properly after start up. If its not, spray some wd40 in there & work it loose.

Wants a CBR 03-27-2012 09:50 PM

The switch seems to be working properly and the wires look good. Am I going to have to loosen the cables at the throttle bodies to get a good look at the kill switch wires? As it sits I can't get in there.
What does r/r stand for?
Where is the relay?

An01InAZ 03-28-2012 08:53 PM

Mine did the same thing for a long time. I had to ghetto rig it to have 1 beam on. I would look very very carefully in throttle side box containing 4 wires. It may be loose, but not detached. If 1 wire is loose they won't turn on. I was fooled thinking they were attached and poked it with a screwdriver on the wire and it wiggled. If that's not the case possible ballasts went out if using HIDS