CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Upgrade Questions F4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/upgrade-questions-f4i-136200/)

Yellow_F4i 03-31-2012 02:22 PM

Upgrade Questions F4i

Hey fellow CBR owners,

I have a 2002 CBR F4i. I have installed a K&N intake, D&D exhaust, I changed out my sprockets with a -1 in front and +2 in rear and new chain. The bike has a touch over 18K miles on it. I am planning on taking it in for the valve adjustment and have them take a close look at the CCT, as I have read that it wears out.

My biggest questions are what power commander are recommended and is it worth me investing into bigger cams while the bike is apart for the valve adjustment?

I love the bike I may keep it for a track and whatever use but would really like to see more power. I am thinking about the 2008 and newer CBR 1000RR or possibly a Ducati. I dont plan to get rid of my F4i just wondering where I should spend the money and how much power I will be able to get out the engine.

Thanks in advance.

gotcbr 03-31-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow_F4i (Post 1145483)
Hey fellow CBR owners,

I have a 2002 CBR F4i. I have installed a K&N intake, D&D exhaust, I changed out my sprockets with a -1 in front and +2 in rear and new chain. The bike has a touch over 18K miles on it. I am planning on taking it in for the valve adjustment and have them take a close look at the CCT, as I have read that it wears out.

More than likely, your valves will still be in spec.

Unless you're getting that CCT ticking, there's really no need to worry w/ it.

My biggest questions are what power commander are recommended

Welcome to Power Commander Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module

and is it worth me investing into bigger cams while the bike is apart for the valve adjustment?

No. Not for everyday use.

I love the bike I may keep it for a track and whatever use but would really like to see more power.

Have it professionally tuned & dynod.

Kuroshio 03-31-2012 02:49 PM

Hmm... If your plans to buy a bigger bike are firm, then the money is better spent there. You cannot upgrade a F4i to anywhere near the performance of a liter without spending enough to buy a liter bike.

That said, if you're serious about tracking the bike and serious about track riding then money is better spent on suspension upgrades than power. Track riding isn't about power. He who corners better will win. And a suspension upgrade is usable on both the track and street.

I'm speaking as an owner of an obscenely overpowered liter bike. I rarely ever get to use its power and if I do wind her up I have to cut her back far too soon. But the suspension I use constantly and I'm bout to start trying to wring the hell out of that.

But on the power question, you can get a PCIII. You won't get any measurable power gains without a full exhaust and a custom map tho. It will smooth out things tho.

2wheelfury 04-01-2012 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 1145495)
Hmm... If your plans to buy a bigger bike are firm, then the money is better spent there. You cannot upgrade a F4i to anywhere near the performance of a liter without spending enough to buy a liter bike.

That said, if you're serious about tracking the bike and serious about track riding then money is better spent on suspension upgrades than power. Track riding isn't about power. He who corners better will win. And a suspension upgrade is usable on both the track and street.

I'm speaking as an owner of an obscenely overpowered liter bike. I rarely ever get to use its power and if I do wind her up I have to cut her back far too soon. But the suspension I use constantly and I'm bout to start trying to wring the hell out of that.

But on the power question, you can get a PCIII. You won't get any measurable power gains without a full exhaust and a custom map tho. It will smooth out things tho.

I agree on the upgrading the f4i vs buying a liter bike. f4i there is only so much you can do without spending an arm and a leg. I have a handfull of stuff done to my f4i. K&N filter is not worth it to be honest. they can actually decrease your low/mid-range power. If you are planning on tracking the bike then it should be fine. Onto the suspension I agree with Kuroshio with suspension upgrades. I just ordered a penske rear shock for mine as I'm about to start hitting the track alot more. Get a full exhaust such akrapovic. pcIII USB is what i run with a custom map. I have custom made headers and a custom gp slip on pipe. 520 -1/+1 w/ RK chain. Do some brake work also like braided steel lines and some better pads. I use EBC HH pads and they are a bit better than the stockers. Hope this little write-up helps you out a little.

Oh and you may as well replace the CCT with a manual one. the stock ones are notorious for going bad quick. Manual is the way to go