CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Unstable or wobbly F4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/unstable-wobbly-f4i-152229/)

ObsidianOne 06-18-2014 03:43 AM

Unstable or wobbly F4i

I went to ride my bike on Monday and noticed when going 20+ mph or so, the bike feels really unstable, almost 'wobbly'. Sudden movements feel like they make the bike feel like it might tip over while I'm riding and it's really uncomfortable. The best I can describe it, is it feels like my tire is low. I checked the tire pressure, showing 35 PSI in the front. This is around what it is usually ran at, and from what Google says, it's right around where it should be.
I have no idea where to begin on this.
Last Thursday, I dropped my bike at a very low speed (turning into a parking space), bent my brake lever, but other than that, doesn't seem to be any damage. I rode it to work from there, then back home without any issues. I even rode it on Saturday and Sunday.
Later on that night, I smelled something burning, like oil on the exhaust pipes and I noticed there was some brownish looking fluid on the front of my K&N oil filter, some below it, and then some of the top and bottom of the radiator. Oil levels seemed fine, couldn't find anything leaking, so I went home. I wiped off the front of the oil filter and most of it was dark from dust and whatever else, but what I could see of the stuff was red, almost transmission fluid red.
Since then it hasn't leaked any more, haven't smelled anything burning anymore either.
Here are some pictures I took after I wiped off the front of the oil filter. It kinda looks like some giant bug flew between the forks hit the radiator twice, and then flew down hitting the rest, but I can't imagine how giant this bug must have been or if this is related to this issue at all?
dafaq - Imgur

74demon 06-18-2014 06:52 AM

Check your forks for damage. The tube could be bent, seal leaking, or both. Get the front tire up off the ground and make sure everything is tight and the wheel spins like it should. The leak looks like something is getting slung up off the tire. It may not even be from your bike, but better to check things anyway.

Don't forget to check the rear too. Something faulty back there can cause weird handling as well.

ag0d3k 06-18-2014 08:52 AM

Did a wheel weight fall off? An unbalanced wheel will definitely wobble

ObsidianOne 06-19-2014 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1275882)
Check your forks for damage. The tube could be bent, seal leaking, or both. Get the front tire up off the ground and make sure everything is tight and the wheel spins like it should. The leak looks like something is getting slung up off the tire. It may not even be from your bike, but better to check things anyway.

Don't forget to check the rear too. Something faulty back there can cause weird handling as well.

Forks don't appear to be damaged. Seals look dry. Unfortunately I don't have any way of getting the front tire off the ground :(

Will do!

Originally Posted by ag0d3k (Post 1275889)
Did a wheel weight fall off? An unbalanced wheel will definitely wobble

I'm not seeing any wheel weights on my front wheel at all.

74demon 06-19-2014 07:11 AM

A tire that is not balanced will shake at high speed. You won't notice it at 30...

How old are the tires? If one is separated or damaged internally, you will feel that at 20. The tire will not be perfectly round.

If you can't figure this out, I suggest you take it to a shop or get some help from someone who can. Don't ride the bike until this is all sorted.

RudyGT 06-21-2014 04:36 PM

bent your brake lever in or out? you think you could have damaged a rotor or stuck one of your calipers?.
you can buy 40 dollar stands, usually at a cycle gear.
try killing the engine and raising your visor after you get up to wobble speed and listen for abnormalities and where they come from.
OEM coolant i think is orange/brownish, and tire pressure can do crazy things. i was getting stuttering braking hard at 36psi and at 32 psi no stutter at all.

boredandstroked 06-27-2014 11:44 AM

The fluid is a herring, forget about it. This has everything to do with forks/tires/rims. Did the forks move in the triple clamps since the fall? Is everything still torqued to spec? It really sounds like a bent fork or fork not in correct position height wise.

ObsidianOne 07-03-2014 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1275960)
A tire that is not balanced will shake at high speed. You won't notice it at 30...

How old are the tires? If one is separated or damaged internally, you will feel that at 20. The tire will not be perfectly round.

If you can't figure this out, I suggest you take it to a shop or get some help from someone who can. Don't ride the bike until this is all sorted.

Very sorry about the delay guys, been working a lot and have taken it for a test spin a few times, even had a friend ride it. It just feels uncomfortable and abnormal to me, a friend doesn't even notice it.
I've taken it on the highway, gone 60 mph, just feels really unstable at low speeds. I feel like it's difficult to ride in a straight line when on the highway.
Tire born on date is sometime in December 2012 if I remember correctly.

Yeah, waiting on the shop to have an opening :(

Originally Posted by RudyGT (Post 1276082)
bent your brake lever in or out? you think you could have damaged a rotor or stuck one of your calipers?.
you can buy 40 dollar stands, usually at a cycle gear.
try killing the engine and raising your visor after you get up to wobble speed and listen for abnormalities and where they come from.
OEM coolant i think is orange/brownish, and tire pressure can do crazy things. i was getting stuttering braking hard at 36psi and at 32 psi no stutter at all.

It caused it to curl out, pictures and story here:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...t-time-152206/

I'm wondering about that, if it might be one of the calipers. I've noticed a weird dark line in the center of my caliper on the right side lately, not sure how long it's been there. Changed the brake pads a few months back, and I don't recall it. My original description isn't the most accurate I guess for the situation. The bike just feels like it wants to fall over easily.

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1276332)
The fluid is a herring, forget about it. This has everything to do with forks/tires/rims. Did the forks move in the triple clamps since the fall? Is everything still torqued to spec? It really sounds like a bent fork or fork not in correct position height wise.

I'll check the heights and see if I can notice anything. Any particular areas I can take pictures of that might help?

RudyGT 07-03-2014 11:13 PM

that weird dark line has been there since you took the pictures of the damage.
you say you've been riding for around 7 months, new tires or tires with different profiles can tip the bike real easy. did you change the tires?
the bike is wobbly or wants to just turn in easy or both? really strange.
the forks should be even at the top with barely any coming past the clip ons.
should be upper tripple->clip ons-> little metal ring that fits in groove, and then what little is left above that.

ObsidianOne 07-05-2014 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by RudyGT (Post 1276649)
that weird dark line has been there since you took the pictures of the damage.
you say you've been riding for around 7 months, new tires or tires with different profiles can tip the bike real easy. did you change the tires?
the bike is wobbly or wants to just turn in easy or both? really strange.
the forks should be even at the top with barely any coming past the clip ons.
should be upper tripple->clip ons-> little metal ring that fits in groove, and then what little is left above that.

Yeah, but I don't recall it being there prior to the drop. I know it hasn't been there for sure since I changed the pads.
Nope, no tire changes yet.
I worded it incorrectly, it feels like it wants to tip, like it's unstable, most noticeable in turns. Also feels like it doesn't stay true when trying to ride in a straight line, but taking my hands off the bars, it doesn't veer. I've been wondering if it's something with the clip ons?