F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

undertail....need some help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default undertail....need some help..

I tried the search, but nothing specific. I started taking apart the bike a bit last weekend in order to install my new undertail. Got some problems though, where the heck do you cut the old one? Slip because you got the same one, haha, or anyone who has installed an aftermarket undertail, do you cut the old one off like just above the license plate mount below the key hole or above the key hole? How do you make the key still functional? I took the fairing off that holds both seats and took all the screws out and whatnot now its basically dangling all the way to the battery pretty much. You cant cut that low because it loooks like the old holes that screwed in the tail and old license plate holder will go with it and the new tail wont line up to anything. Any help would be AWESOME bc I just wanna get this done!

Thanks!!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: undertail....need some help..

Well
Im in this same phase. I took a large power tool and cut mine off as per the instructions i have for my 01 f4eye
Mind you they sent me an 04 - 06 under tail that i have to sell.

Here is the Guide that i followed from my under tail company, the pictures they took didn't come out very well.

Ideal Cycle Under tail install guide

The Lock
the Lock still works, its a cylinder thats held in place by a retaining clamp . you have to bend the clamps that push in against the lock back slightly, this will allow you to push the lock Through the hole . the lock is basically attached to a cable that pulls a latch out of the way so your seat can pop off
As for replacing it on your new under tail, depends on where the new hole is. just replace the Lock and retaining clamp bend the clamps back so they hold the lock , then attach the cables, most of the hardware attaches to your seat rail.

The Stock Under Tail
its one big peice :/ it holds your batt and stuff im not sure what the repair manual says for your year of bike BTW what year is yours !
I put my rear cowl back on traced out a line and cut the mail box off the back of my bike, sanded down the edges. my new Under tail has a key hole and my license place is mounted near the rear axle.

hope that helped a little gl

Just a heads up, if you do start to cut stuff watch out for the rear wiring harness that connects your rear signal, break light, Engine stop relay, and Fuel cut off relay