F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Unable to change gears at a stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unable to change gears at a stop

it has gotta be a honda thing. my vtx did it also. letting the clutch out a little always worked for me

Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ARay

it has gotta be a honda thing. my vtx did it also. letting the clutch out a little always worked for me

It's not a Honda thing, it's a non-syncronized transmission.... that's how they work. It doesn't matter what brand it is, Honda/Kawi/Yamaha/Suzuki/ect.... all of them will have the exact same issues going into gear while stopped

Old 02-15-2008, 01:08 AM

Sweet, thanks for that very in depth explanation lol.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 AM
IDL

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Here's a little more in depth into as to why it won't shift into gear when stopped.
Wow thanks!
That totally explains it, dude that was awesome.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:42 AM

yeah uuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

.... what jared said!!! =)

Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 AM

Great explanation. Don't mean to hijack but I have a gear question: when changing from 1st to second I can see the neutral light coming on for a split of a second. Does this has to do with the non-sync transmission or is it my sloppy changes? Thanks for any feedback.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Banned

Does this has to do with the non-sync transmission or is it my sloppy changes?
1-n-2-3-4-5-6 or Five up, one down. You pass through N on your way to 2 from 1 and vice versa.You may still be a dirty, filthy, sloppy, naughty gear changer, but the green blink in normal.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 AM

My old F4i had this same light blink, and I figured it was from the 1-n-2 so I never worried about it, but it also used to "pop" into neutral when I wanted 2nd, and if I was romping on it a little it was embarrasing because I would let the clutch out and throttle it and it would just rev in neutral, and I probably scared the crap out of some "golf *****" when I was moving down the road andI'd hitthe rev limiter. My 600 RR has yet to do this...so maybe I'm getting better at shifting...I don't know...or maybe I wasn't lifting my foot enough to engage it? Over time I just learned to over-exaggerate when going from 1st to 2nd, but I don't ride that bike anymore so I don't have to worry. I told the kid that bought the bike off me and he said it was anormal thing, and after reading Jared's awesome gear changing post, now I know why.

FYI - "Golf *****" is a term coined by my old man, for the lil' old ladies that drive with two hands on the wheel and look thru the steering wheel over the hood, and all you can see is the perfectly round poof of white hair driving the car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23483/95E39D55EF8E498D94A63309A291FAE7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-23-2018, 01:47 PM
Default Unable to go down gear when moving

CBR 1000 fml. Doesn't want to go down gears when moving... Any ideas? Don't do many miles. Can just about shift gears when it warms up. The clutch is new and disengage no problem... Trouble going up gears also...

Old 04-23-2018, 07:29 PM
GjP

Great explanation 3rdgen

I have the same problem on my 01 F4i as jfunk - that it sometimes 'pops' into neutral when I'm giving it a bit in 2nd just after gearing up, also sometimes doesn't want to go into 3rd - again when I'm giving it some. My local mechanic told me what it was and that it would be quite expensive to fix but being non mechanically minded it went right over my head, the upshot was - don't give her too much and get a quick shifter - Gold!!

Quick Reply: Unable to change gears at a stop