F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Unable to change gears at a stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 PM
IDL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to change gears at a stop

Sometimes when I roll up to a stop light or something I am unable to downshift when at full stop or going really slow. Sometimes I get into neutral and can't go up or down.

It only happens on occasion, but I think it's starting to get more common.

It's annoying when it happens because obviously I want to get it into first gear before the light turns green. I find that if I rev the bike sometimes I can shift, or sometimes I shift up from neutral into second because that is sometimes easier than getting it into first.

Anyone know what can cause this?

Old 02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Unable to change gears at a stop

Perfectly normal - just get it into 1st while you are still rolling (MSF trained that one). - Mine does the same - revving may/may not help, rolling the bike Fwd/Back or slightly releasing the clutch seem to allow it to shift while sitting at lights.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

ORIGINAL: IDL

Sometimes when I roll up to a stop light or something I am unable to downshift when at full stop or going really slow. Sometimes I get into neutral and can't go up or down.

It only happens on occasion, but I think it's starting to get more common.

It's annoying when it happens because obviously I want to get it into first gear before the light turns green. I find that if I rev the bike sometimes I can shift, or sometimes I shift up from neutral into second because that is sometimes easier than getting it into first.
Anyone know what can cause this?
Sticky gears.. its ok.. what you need to do is let your clutch out just a bit and it will let you shift down

Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 PM
IDL

Interesting, although is it possible for the bike to start doing it more often?
I don't think I've changed my riding habits but notice it more. Sometimes even when rolling

Maybe I need an oil change..

Old 02-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

na generally most honda just have stiff gears and sometimes it happens.. if you engage the clutch a bit then put it back on you can shift back down jsut fine

Old 02-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Registered Users

yep +1 on what they said...i read somewhere that it has to do with some sort of safety feature...i don't remember why...but they are meant to be stiffer and have trouble engaging if you don't downshift all the way while slowing down....

the easiest thing is to one) train yourself to downshift when coming to a stop; and two) if it happens...just slightly release the clutch to the friction point and quickly pull it back in and it will allow you to get all the way down...

i'll see if i can figure out the safety thing if i find it....made sense when i read it...

Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM

Try doing all your down shifting at higher speeds.

Most bikes I've ridden don't reallylike to go from 6th to 2nd at 10mph.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:52 PM

My old F4i did the same thing, would pop into neutral sometimes when I wanted 2nd gear or wouldn't shift into first at a stop. Feathering the clutch in and out or rocking the bike back and forth solved it for me.

My new 600RR hasn't done it, yet...I hear this is a common thing with honda's so it's not much to worry about.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:08 PM
IDL

Next time it happens i'll try the clutch trick

I shift to first at stop sometimes just because I find the 'clunk' annoying when shifting into first at any speed.

Out of curiousity, why is it best practice to shift into first while moving? Is it for safety reasons or something like that?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup yup... like everyone has mentioned already, completely normal.

Here's a little more in depth into as to why it won't shift into gear when stopped.

Unlike a car transmission, motorcycle transmissions are constant mesh NON syncronized. The gears have what's called "dogs" on one gear, and "grooves" on the mating gear. They act similar to syncronizers in that the end result is the same.... locking any given gear to the mainshaft or countershaft. But they're still quite different. When you shift to engage a gear, it moves the gear with the dogs, which is called a "slider gear", and moves it to either the left or right, depending on which gear you're engaging. The slider gears have splines on the center hole, which permanently attaches them to their respective countershaft or mainshaft. The grooved gears are freespinning on bearings. When you engage a gear and the slider gear moves over and meshes with the grooved gear, it then locks that gear to the respective countershaft or mainshaft, whichever it happens to be on. Once that gear is locked to the shaft, powerflow can be achieved.

Here's a few pics to help explain. These particular gears (in the first pic) are 2nd gear on the left, and 6th gear on the right. As you can see, 6th gear is the slider gear, and has "dogs" on both sides of it. 2nd gear has the "grooves", and is freespinning until it is locked to the shaft by 6th gear. If it slides one way it will engage 2nd gear, and when it slides the other way it will engage 3rd gear. Although these are 6th and 2nd gears, 1st works exactly the same. It uses 5th gear slider to engage 1st.

Name:  DSC03768.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  DSC03772.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  67.5 KB

The dogs and grooves have to line up in order for the gears to mesh. This is why the gears have to be moving in order for them to mesh. When both gears are sitting still, if the dogs and grooves don't line up, the dogs will just bang against the non-grooved parts of the mating gear, making it unable to engage and lock that gear to the countershaft/mainshaft. The grooves are slightly wider than the dogs, allowing them to engage and disengage at speed, but also makes for some play in the drivetrain. This is why you get a slight "clunk" with each gearshift, and also why when the engine is off and bike is in gear, you can rock it back and forth several inches, and it feels real 'loose'. Just the dogs sliding back and forth a little bit inside the grooves. The shift fork rides in the little slot on the black gear, right between the actual gear part of it, and the dogs on the right side
Name:  DSC03773.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  73.7 KB

And when they're engaged
Name:  DSC03774.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  68.2 KB

I know that probably sounds really confusing.... I suck at trying to explain stuff [:@] But hopefully that gives you a general idea of how it works and why it won't go into 1st gear while you're stopped without rolling a little bit, or letting the clutch out first

Quick Reply: Unable to change gears at a stop