CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Type of Oil preferance (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/type-oil-preferance-10696/)

01600F4i 03-18-2006 02:59 AM

RE: Type of Oil preferance

penzoil sucks. Use honda, castrol, quaker state, mobil, etc... I personally only use the honda oil in my bike. Do a search on oil's. Penzoil is terrible.

jmabo205 03-18-2006 04:59 AM

with what i learned was that you just have to try different oils to see what you like..... you feel the difference when your riding shifting gears and such... so just use different ones.... but i would use honda or castrol, but depeneds if your really looking for performance for track or just to ride around...

p01ishedF4i 03-18-2006 12:01 PM

I've used Rotella T in my F4 for two years. The oil performed very well and didn't burn off. I was quite pleased. However, now, In my F4i I've been using Mobile 1 Motorcycle oil 10w-40. It's also worked very very well, but it's quite expensive.

kiggy74 03-18-2006 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

10-40s are labeled as non-energy conserving.
just know that if you use car 10/40 dino, then you need to change your oil more frequently than moto specific.
car dino does seem to break down sooner, but is definitely ok to use.
10-30, etc...will have friction modifiers that will make your clutch slip...NO USE!

15/50 is cool...i think it's the mobile 1 gold cap...it's a car oil, but i've used it without any problems. another member has also used it on his f3 for like 67K miles.
cost wise, it's about the same as a good moto oil though...but you can definitely find it cheap sometimes.

but it depends where you're at you know? here we don't ever freeze outside so we can use most oils.

Of course you don't "have to" use Honda or synthetic. But then again, we don't "have to" upgrade perfectly good stock tires, wheels, ignition units, brakes, chains, sprockets, shocks, windscreens, turn signals, tail lights, tail sections, under tails, wheel huggers, etc, etc. But for some reason we still choose to do these things anyway.

Why you ask?

Because of personal preference. So I'll state my opinion again... mang,

I only use the Honda brand synthetic. If you don't want to use the Honda brand oil, fine. Just make sure you use synthetic. Also, once you start with a brand/type, stick to it.

traitorhound 03-18-2006 07:38 PM

i use shell rotella 5w40 synthetic on my 05 f4i since 3rd oil change and pure one filters for a mazda 6 cylinder. i recently also switch to the same oil in my protege 5 so it works out awesome having my car and my bike use the same oil filters and oil

thirdgenlxi 03-18-2006 09:51 PM

I use Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 with either an OEM or Purolator PureOne filter... good stuff!! I've always had good luck with Mobil 1 stuff, I use it in my car too (which just turned 369k miles today and going strong as ever!), and have used it in the bike since 5k miles, now at 45k. I was using the Mobil 1 recap 15w-50 car oil, and it worked great, but started having trouble finding it in this weight so I went to the MX4T instead. It is a little pricey, but I don't like to cheap out on stuff like that, I put quite a few miles on my car and bike and need them to last and be reliable, so I'd rather spend a little more just to I KNOW I'm giving it the good stuff. So far I guess it's payed off, as neither have given the slightest bit of trouble! :D

Fox 03-19-2006 08:04 PM

Honda HP4 w/o moly.

F4i_nsane 03-19-2006 10:16 PM

Motul, 10/40 it is full synthetic at a price of $100 for 4 litres

kup125 03-19-2006 10:31 PM

Motul 10w40 tecnosynthese, makes my shifting as smooth as butter:D

p01ishedF4i 03-20-2006 01:16 AM

Do you know the part number for the PureOne Oil Filter?? Also, which auto's also use the same filters as the F4i?? (just for cross referencing purposes)