CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Two wire flush mount install...now bike won't start (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/two-wire-flush-mount-install-now-bike-wont-start-102572/)

claydog99 10-25-2009 10:38 PM

Two wire flush mount install...now bike won't start

Hey guys, i installed a two wire flush mount turn signals (front only) and now the bike won't start. i thought it might be the bank angle sensor wire or connection but the fuel pump primes up. I pulled on the wires some to connect the new blinker, that's why I thought it might be the bas connection was the problem, but I've read that the bas won't let the fuel pump prime up. I just taped off the third wire from the old blinker. is this a no-no? All lights light up, fuel pump primes, headlight on, blinkers work.... Like a dumbbutt once i saw the blinkers worked i didn't check anything else before i buttoned everything back up.... i hate to take it all apart again.... any suggestions? thanks

Aken 10-25-2009 10:59 PM

The other wire for the blinkers is just a running light, it shouldn't affect the starting of your bike in any way.

What does the bike do when you try to start it? Just crank over and over?

I'm somewhat stumped as to how you managed this, lol. The pump not priming is the usual suspect. And even more odd is how you did it just installing turn signals, haha.

claydog99 10-25-2009 11:14 PM

everything looks and acts normal, just won't fire. turns over strong (battery two months old) it must be wiring huh? the only thing i could find (read) is that it's the bas, but the fuel pump definitely primes. could it be something else?

Aken 10-25-2009 11:17 PM

The only other goofy thing I can think of is to check all your fuses. I don't recall if there's one that ties in with the running portion of the bike, but it's possible you popped something while working that may be keeping it from starting.

Aside from that, unless you did something really goofy, I don't see how swapping turn signals can affect the bike starting.

GDM YO 10-25-2009 11:23 PM

Did you accidentally hit the "off" button on the right handlebar? I know it sounds stupid but I've done things like that, as I normally turn it off with the key.

claydog99 10-25-2009 11:23 PM

yeah crazy huh? i did this about a month ago, got pissed and have been riding my cruiser instead and left it alone... but i'm missing it and am trying to get it going again. i believe i checked the fuses then, but i'll recheck. i don't know of a fuse that would not let it start either... if everything else is working, but i'm just learning about the cbr.

claydog99 10-25-2009 11:25 PM

no, i make sure of that and it's the first thing i look for if a bike doesn't start. it only has 6k miles on it but i read that the switches themselves have problems.... so i'm going to at least try to switch it on and off and see if the switch is defective.

Aken 10-25-2009 11:38 PM

If you can hear the fuel pump prime, the switch isn't the issue.

dsrdr 10-26-2009 05:55 AM

an f4i just left sitting? gah, where is this bike?

claydog99 10-26-2009 12:22 PM

lol... it's sitting in my garage, safe and sound and dry....

i also ride a vtx 1800f. i usually ride the f4i with my son and his ninja.

it's gonna be trial and error i guess, just hate to remove the wires i soldered.. kinda like when a computer f's up..... what is the last thing you did/installed, remove that and go backwards from there huh?

the full story is took my bikes to sturgis in august, the last day i was feeling a little frisky.... i usually push the limits.... anyway on a 10mph turn....u know u can usually double the speed on the sign and make it right?.... well gravel got me.. i wasn't going very fast, saw the gravel tried to brake enough to avoid and high sided....flew through the air jumped back up and got back on and kept riding (gouged my helmet...bruised but not a scratch..love that protective gear)......because not wanting to lose our spot... too many slow riders and we had a good space buffer..... anyway rode the rest of the day (another 150 miles) with a missing mirror, broke blinker and scratched fairing...
got back to texas... started it up put it in the garage and started looking for parts.. i started it a couple of times to keep the freakin $148 battery charged..... so instead of buying one turn signal i liked the flush mounts and that's what i went with... and hence thats when the problem started? coincedence?....... once i started researching about problems starting and read about the b.a.s. and saw the wiring schematic and read how easy it is to f' up i knew that was it...... until i read in one thread that the fuel pump won't prime/run if it was tripped...... and the pump sings when i turn it on.

soooooo.... i'm gonna have to pull the fairings to get to the wiring....check all connections... if nothing obvious there... change the spark plugs... that seemed to be the next on the list of possible reasons i've read... some of the search results said it might be from trailering that caused some problems with the ram air but the bike started at least three times after that with no problems..... i'm hating this because it is going to be something simple and stupid...... and probably didn't need to take the bike apart to find.... sheeit!!:icon_doh: