F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Two Stupid Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Stupid Questions

I apologize in advance for my ignorance, however, I did run a search, check the owner's manual and service manual before asking, and I really can't find the basic instructions. How do I adjust the shift lever height and also rotate the clutch/brake lever angle on my 2001 F4I? If anyone could kindly point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CeeBeeAre600
I apologize in advance for my ignorance, however, I did run a search, check the owner's manual and service manual before asking, and I really can't find the basic instructions. How do I adjust the shift lever height and also rotate the clutch/brake lever angle on my 2001 F4I? If anyone could kindly point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated.
theres a lock nut on the shifting rod, loosen, twist the rod out/in to desire angle, tighten lock nut.

On the levers, loosen the clamps for the levers on the clipons and rotate to desired angle, retighten clamps.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 AM
Talking old post 04-30-2007

(I found this in an old cbr forum I hope it helps) Quote:
ORIGINAL: jjbtao

Head to the other side, and repeat the process. On the shift side, you will have to adjust the shift linkage. Here's a picture of how mine ended up, post adjustment. The small mark on the shaft indicates the stock location of the linkage arm (the mark lines up with the gap)

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any position other than the stock location will cause extra wear on your tranny components (e.g. geardogs, shift forks). This can end up being a very costly mod in the end. My buddy did something similar and he ended up spending $800 to get his tranny fixed.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Like PlayfulGod said, on either side of the long metal rod, there's two bolts. One turns clockwise, and the other counter-clockwise. Lift the rubber boots back away from the rod, and you will see flat spots on the universal joints to place an open-end wrench. Place a wrench on the joint, and another one on the lock nut. Do one side at a time and by doing so, you won't place any undo stress on the joints. Loosen both lock nuts up, and then simply turn the rod with your fingers. Tighten to raise, and loosen to lower.
In this photo you can see what I mean, with the boot pulled back. Both sides are identical.

Name:  IMG_1561.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  38.8 KB
Sorry, I'm a sucker for macro shots.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ZIP5K
(I found this in an old cbr forum I hope it helps) Quote:
ORIGINAL: jjbtao

Head to the other side, and repeat the process. On the shift side, you will have to adjust the shift linkage. Here's a picture of how mine ended up, post adjustment. The small mark on the shaft indicates the stock location of the linkage arm (the mark lines up with the gap)

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any position other than the stock location will cause extra wear on your tranny components (e.g. geardogs, shift forks). This can end up being a very costly mod in the end. My buddy did something similar and he ended up spending $800 to get his tranny fixed.
Yea adjusting it like it that photo is not really recommended. Do it like incognito n I said and ya wont hurt anything.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Yea adjusting it like it that photo is not really recommended. Do it like incognito n I said and ya wont hurt anything.
yea As playful said don't do that, from my understanding this was how it was to be done until I did it. Trying to shift it felt like it was bounding up. Put it back, and asked a tech he told me to never do it that way because I would end up breaking something. Loosen the two bolts on the connecting rod and turn, re-tighten. Works great.. And is how it should be done.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:38 PM

Thanks much guys. I'm going to get right on it and will report back. Much appreciated.