F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Turn signal wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turn signal wiring

Hi All,
New to forum. Want to begin by saying Howdy, glad to be here. Anyway, to the point. I just purchased a 2005 F4i for my son. It has after market three wire front turn signals but don't work as running lights. I looked at the wiring on the left side signal and only two of the three wires are being used. The O/W wire is not being used and the ground on the three wire signal is not being used. HUH? is what I thought. The green and orange are connected to the leads going to the bulb. I have the service manual for the bike but can't make hide nor hair of how to wire these up correctly. Anyone have the know on how to wire these up correctly and what wires are what in the wireing diagram. My Yamaha wiring is pretty straight forward, these seem to be something totally different. Thanks for any info and enlightenment.
Paul

Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Green is ground. Your signals are only using the turn signal power and common ground wires.

One colored wire (orange or blue depending on the side) is positive running light, the other is positive turn signal. The green wire (both sides) is a common ground. Attach them to their appropriate places for proper running light / turn signal operation.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Yep, exactly how Aken put it.

Last edited by Incognito; 02-09-2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: My dog ate it.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 PM

FYI
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/f4i-front-intake-signals-50018/

Originally Posted by axsys
So now its time to install everything onto the bike. If you want, you can get a little fancy and put some sleeving over your wires like I did:

Screw the grills back in with the 2 phillips screws for each one. So what we need to do is splice into the wiring harness to attach the signals. You are looking for the White and Orange connectors on the left side of the headlight. The right side has White and Blue connectors that are identical to the left, just Blue instead of Orange. For this guide, I am just going to show how to wire the left side, as the right side is the same except for the color. Now, there are 3 wires here - the Green wire in the White connector, an Orange wire in the Orange connector, and another Orange with white stripe wire in the Orange connector. We need to solder the black (-) wire from our LEDs to the Green wire, and the red (+) wire to the solid Orange wire. So thats Black to Green, Red to solid Orange (solid Blue for right side).

The way I did this was to cut the wires after the connector on the turn signals, then solder them back together as well as soldering my new wire inline with them:

It's a little hard to see the black wire in the photo, but its soldered to that joint as well as the green wires. Make sure to put some heatshrink or electrical tape over the connection when done. Now, do the same for the solid orange wire. I had a problem with the wire being a little too short to fit heatshrink over (I prefer not to use electrical tape, but it should work fine if you do), so I added a little extra wire in there to give me some more room to work with. When finished, it turned out like this:

As you can see, the Red to solid Orange, Black to Green. And thats it! Do the other side, then put your bike back together and enjoy your hard work!

I kind of rushed through the How-To a little bit, so if you guys feel like I was a little vague in some areas, let me know and I can be more clear. I will also post some videos up later tonight. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks all for the info. Just what I needed. Will be lurkin for awhile till I can help someone.
Paul