F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

turn signal LEDs not all lighting/dimness

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal LEDs not all lighting/dimness

Any idea why they're not all shining bright? When viewing the bike from the front the upper-inside corner LEDs are very bright some of the others are dim and then the outer-lower corner lights don't seem to be lit at all. Both lights are like this. This bike has flush mount turn signals on the side that the previous owner installed. Could an aftermarket relay or something cause this? Or maybe resistors? Just guessing here. The flush mounts have the 3-2 wire converter-clips, not sure if that makes any difference. Thanks a lot!

Name:  light_zps580097ac.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  28.6 KB

Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Have you tried hooking them straight to 12v to see if they work that way? This would ensure it is or is not the mirrors. Chances are slim both are bad, but it happens.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scott91370
Have you tried hooking them straight to 12v to see if they work that way? This would ensure it is or is not the mirrors. Chances are slim both are bad, but it happens.
If I ever take off the front fairing again I'll give that a shot. For now though I'm just gonna leave it as it is, they're 100x better than the stock mirrors as far as visibility goes and the turn signals are better than just having flush mounts so I'm fine.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:50 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told ya you would need the relay in the other thread. Unfortunately I dont know how your bike is wired. The 2 options that are there are in line resistors, or an LED relay. You need to find out what your bike has, then look accordingly. The same thing happened on mine and it was because I had no LED relay, just the stock relay, on the bike. Wired straight to a 12v they are bright as can be.

Are the flush mounts LED?

Look under your headlight and see if its the stock relay in there.

Do they fast blink?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
I told ya you would need the relay in the other thread. Unfortunately I dont know how your bike is wired. The 2 options that are there are in line resistors, or an LED relay. You need to find out what your bike has, then look accordingly. The same thing happened on mine and it was because I had no LED relay, just the stock relay, on the bike. Wired straight to a 12v they are bright as can be.

Are the flush mounts LED?

Look under your headlight and see if its the stock relay in there.

Do they fast blink?
Yours were dim and not blinking fast?? I thought fast blink was the relay issue on f4is and just assumed that the previous owner had wired one in because my blink rate was normal. If yours was normal speed and dim then I'll be sure to open it up and give it a shot!

edit: Yea, the flush mounts are LED, so are the mirrors. Everything blinks with my stock rear signals.

Last edited by theadamie; 02-27-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

I dont have a LED relay on my bike yet. Mine were just dim and didnt blink at all. Both symptoms of a non compliant relay. I am kind of at a crossroads as far as the problem.

If I were you and its not too much trouble, maybe pull a flush mount and hard wire to battery direct. See if that brightness changes. Secondly, do the same with the mirrors. I did on mine and they were bright as can be. When connected they were very dim. Its a voltage issue. Are your flushes and these turns hooked up as running lights and turns or just turns? Same with the mirrors, how connected?

Perhaps with yours there is 2 results.

1. If the flushes are brighter when direct hooked, seems to me its the relay. Maybe the wrong one, etc. Maybe your PO put resistors in. Im not sure, you should probably check. Follow wiring back to the relay.

2. If hooked and no change, again check relay or check if resistors are in line.

From everything I have read on relays, and from personal expierience there are a few issues associated with the relay that can happen. Anyone of the symptoms constitutes the need of a new relay. There is no blink, fast blink, dimness and all four corners flickering wrong. Anyone of those problems can happen, and there isnt a definite reason as to which one happens and why so I understand.

-Poss

Last edited by PossibleOne; 02-27-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:50 PM

Hello everyone.
I'm having the same problem with my CBR F4i. The indicators are very dim, only getting about 4V (according to my multimeter). I had a LED flasher installed and have changed it but problem persists. I connected the LED turn signals and flasher straight to the battery and they work fine, bright and flashing. If I bypass the flasher they are still dim. If I bypass the switch it's a little bit better but not great. I even tested drawing power straight from the battery to the flasher but they still don't work.

I am out of ideas and I'm almost ready to ghetto-rig everything straight to the battery. This would suck as the light on the dash would not work any more, and would be a pain in the butt. Any other ideas?

Old 03-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Wanted to pop back in here and tell you that the CustomLED ELFR-1 solved my dimmness issue. I know you both said you have relay's in your bike, maybe they are faulty. I am not sure. There is a difference if you run a full LED load vs. a partial LED and incandescent load etc.

The relay I purchased fixed my issue and I run all LED's on my bike, aside from the headlights. I am afraid that Alfi your issue may have something else causing the problem.

theadamie the relay I got worked perfectly, they are all lit and all bright, and all blink at the rate they should.

For anyone, sometimes when running full LED loads a load equalizer is needed to balance out the amount of voltage at each corner or LED. Something to keep in mind.

Alfi, what relay are you using?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
Wanted to pop back in here and tell you that the CustomLED ELFR-1 solved my dimmness issue. I know you both said you have relay's in your bike, maybe they are faulty. I am not sure. There is a difference if you run a full LED load vs. a partial LED and incandescent load etc.

The relay I purchased fixed my issue and I run all LED's on my bike, aside from the headlights. I am afraid that Alfi your issue may have something else causing the problem.

theadamie the relay I got worked perfectly, they are all lit and all bright, and all blink at the rate they should.

For anyone, sometimes when running full LED loads a load equalizer is needed to balance out the amount of voltage at each corner or LED. Something to keep in mind.

Alfi, what relay are you using?
Awesome I'll look into this. Are the relays in the front and back signals separate? I know where the ones in the back are, but I have a feeling I'll have to take the front cowl off again...

Quick Reply: turn signal LEDs not all lighting/dimness