F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Trying fix 1 problem, created another

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying fix 1 problem, created another

Filled up tonight in anticipation of taking my bike to work for the first time this year (finally warm enough)...went to reset the trip odometer...nothing..push the little thingy in...nothing..ok ride the 2 miles home and decide to fiddle with it there...I guess the battery drain real quick on these bikes no? I had the highs on for like 4 minutes without the bike running...(didn't notice actually), finally get the odometer to reset and decide to go out for 1 last night ride....whrrrr whrrrr...click &^%$*)

Killed my battery [&:] Should it drain that quickly???

On another note, has anyone has issues with resetting the miles and if so what was the fix?

Goose

Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trying fix 1 problem, created another

even if the battery is say 1 yr old it can drain like that. Get a gel battery if you're replacing it.
sometimes you just have to press hard enough for long enough to reset it.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:03 AM

I drained my battery once last year when I left my key on for about 5 minutes. Gave her a push start and she was good to go... I also noticed with my button you have to put a bit of pressure on it to get any results. I'm sure it's normal.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:11 AM

Mines drains rather quick too, being maybe because of hids. But i've accidentilly left the lowbeams on for about 10-15 minutes and the bike wouldnt start. Luckily i was at a gas station :P

Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 AM

yep, it's all about the hids, i have made the mechanism that only brings on the lights when i flip the sidestand to go or press the clutch lever if i need to see something in front without flipping the sidestand .

Old 04-17-2008, 09:49 AM

yup definitely drain fast, left mine on for five minutes last summer to help a guy change a tire and he had to jump me [:@]

Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM

I have a 1 year old battery and have accidentally drained it twice tihs year. I picked up a Battery Tender Jr, and it has leads that you can hook upt o the battery then run the other end somewhere. I ran it to my trunk. When I get home I pop my trunk and plug it in. It's really easy, it's about $30, and I have not had ANY problems since.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:31 PM

I'm a big fan of the tender myself too. I ran the cord to my trunk as well and when I know I won't be able to ride for a couple days it takes all of 10 seconds to plug it in. Very handy!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM

haha my first year I had my bike I left the key on and must have had to pop start it 6 times.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: whtan20

Mines drains rather quick too, being maybe because of hids. But i've accidentilly left the lowbeams on for about 10-15 minutes and the bike wouldnt start. Luckily i was at a gas station :P
HID's (~35W) use less power per bulb than a regular bulb(~55-60W). Unless you have 2 low beams on your HID's, you would actually be using less power. 10-15 minutes is quite a bit of time to leave it on though

The Battery Tender is a great thing though. I just ordereda BatteryMinder (just like the battery tender jr. plus a desulphantor) and its worked out great so far.

Quick Reply: Trying fix 1 problem, created another