F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Traction problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction problem

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I just got a new to me 2006 F4i and the bike is tons of fun...except for this nagging issue I keep having with rear tire traction.
Everytime I'm leaning the bike I feel like the rear tire is wallowing about behind me. I feel it as I stand the bike back up too. Nothing panic inducing but an unnerving feeling that the back end is not planted. Almost like the rear is swinging out farther than the front in the turn. No issues while going in a straight line.
Here's what I've done already:
1. I completely returned suspension settings to stock using the owners manual except for rear preload which is set to 5. (I weight approx 195lbs in my birthday suit.)
2. I took the bike to an excellent local shop that specializes in Hondas to have the bearings, steering head bearing, suspension components, wheel alignment etc looked at. Mechanic gave bike a clean bill of health front and rear. No recommended repairs.
3. Both tires inspected and are about 1000 miles from new (Diablo Rosso 3's put on by previous owner)
4. Chain cleaned/lubed and adjusted by mechanic. Chain and sprockets replaced at the same time as tires were.
5. I come from the world of cruisers and have been riding near daily for 21 years. This is the 7th bike I've owned but it is my first sportbike so I analyzed my riding technique for faults. (i.e. loosening my grip on the bars, accelerating too early/late or too much/little, proper posture, not shifting my body in turns, smoothness, etc..) I do not "BELIEVE" the problem is me but could be wrong.
6. Tire pressure set before each ride and is holding steady at correct pressure. So I'm concluding I am not losing air.
7. Tried cooler weather (down to 45 degrees) and warmer weather (up to 76 degrees) with no detectable change. Feeling is similar during early part of ride to near ride's end (tires colder vs. warmer)

I got nothing else to look at and could use some ideas. Been hard to trust that sucker in the turns so I can push the bike's abilities a little and up the fun factor.
Thanks for taking the time to read all this and thanks for taking the time to help.
Stay shiny side up and safe!

Old 10-26-2019, 04:14 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If you have friend you can trust, why not let them have a few minutes on your bike to see if they get the same sensation. After 21 years riding cruisers daily your sure to feel a difference and maybe it just is what it is.
You have had the bike checked professionally, and seem to have eliminated all the usual suspects.
You also seem to be following all the “techniques” for the change in machine but what happens if you just ride your way, the way you have always ridden. Does she behave at slower speeds ?
Best of luck mate.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:50 AM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by wes 17
If you have friend you can trust, why not let them have a few minutes on your bike to see if they get the same sensation.
That would be my suggestion as well. The only thing I could come up with that wasn't specifically mentioned is the swing arm bearings...

Old 10-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

What tire pressure are you running? Try using a little lower, around 34 to 36.

You said that they have 1000mi on them, but how old are they? There is a date code on them, what is it?

As suggested, it could be you. Maybe you're just not used to the very different feel of a lighter sportbike or your body position is off. It's much different than what you've been doing and much more critical to the handling.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend some time with a mate setting the preload according to recommend sag levels....

Then you need to have a play with compression and rebound settings with the bike static to get it "feel" right. Then go off and ride the same bit of road over and over and keep making small adjustments.

If you feel like it's wallowing or like it's washing out when you're lent into corners I would say your compression damping may be too little so the bike is compressing under the forces of the turn...

Other thing is that the spring is worn/not enough for your weight. Get your sag set first though...if you find you have to crank the preload up high, might be time for a new spring.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:57 AM

I would suggest that tyres need more consideration, after all they are the only grip you have on your riding surface. it could be that you just don't like Rosso 3 tyres. I know any bike doesn't feel as though it's mine until I put Bridgestone tyres on it, I also know that a lot of this will be psychological, changing tyres to your personal choice may well lift confidence levels....

Even if you do like Rosso 3s, it could be that you have a rogue one? Or as stated above an old one?

Old 10-27-2019, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by roundyuk
Spend some time with a mate setting the preload according to recommend sag levels....

Then you need to have a play with compression and rebound settings with the bike static to get it "feel" right. Then go off and ride the same bit of road over and over and keep making small adjustments.

If you feel like it's wallowing or like it's washing out when you're lent into corners I would say your compression damping may be too little so the bike is compressing under the forces of the turn...

Other thing is that the spring is worn/not enough for your weight. Get your sag set first though...if you find you have to crank the preload up high, might be time for a new spring.
That was it! I dialed in some more compression damping in the rear end and now she is solid as a rock! I'm grateful for your advice! Thanks brother!

Old 10-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts

Glad you found the issue AND were able to make adjustments! Hope you get to enjoy it for a bit before cold weather sets in!

Old 10-27-2019, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Samson
Glad you found the issue AND were able to make adjustments! Hope you get to enjoy it for a bit before cold weather sets in!
I'm down in Georgia so our riding season is quite a bit longer than most. I should get plenty more beautiful days to ride 👍

And a big thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I was at my wits end!

Old 10-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! Glad you got it figured out, there is so much to be said about getting the right suspension adjustment dialled in; can transform how a bike feels so much!

You'll never get it dialled right for 100% of the roads and surfaces you ride on (certainly not over here in the UK as our roads suck!) but 80% and you're on to a winner. Plus it's a lot down to how you prefer, I like mine a bit stiffer than ideal for road use, but I am never touring on my CBR so I go for the settings that give me most confidence for how I like to ride her.

Enjoy dude, starting getting proper cold here in the UK; the rain has stopped at least and it's tempting to get out :-D

Quick Reply: Traction problem