F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Touring Question, Which bags are better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Question, Which bags are better?

Hey guys, i'm going on my first actual Trip at the end of this month. San Francisco to Las Vegas and back. I got everything straightened out except for one thing, i have to buy luggage, i know the bare minimum of what i have to bring and it comes down to a choice of two options:

Two saddle bags?

or a Tail and Tank Bag?

pro's cons? let me know. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will need all four (tank, tail and both saddle bags)

Old 07-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
I think you will need all four (tank, tail and both saddle bags)
cool. I really think that i can fit what i need to fit into either the saddle bags or the tank and tail. all 4 seems like overkill for what i have planned.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm w/ Indiana Hurricane on this one. That is, unless you're a super-minimalist on travel gear/clothing/supplies. Sure, you could do it w/ less than all four but if you want to be comfortable w/ needed supplies, four is probably the way to go. The climates you'll be going thru will dictate your need of gear/clothing as well.

Cortech/Tourmaster tank/tail/saddle-bags are good quality & are available at most any Cycle Gear store. They are lightweight but made of good quality ballistic nylon. They're a good value for the price. (Plus, w/ Cycle Gear, if you're not happy w/ the performance, they'll take them back.)

This being your first "actual trip", I'd advise pre-packing everything a time or two...ie. a test-pack/fit/run. See what you actually need & don't need, how to pack it all for weight-&-balance, & convenience.

I use lists. Then, I try to pack as little as possible, yet have requirements for the trip.

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM

I got all three and just pick and choose what will work the best for the trip. I got them all from new enough for dirt cheap too. They are Nelson Rigg. I got the biggest tank bag they offered... it makes a nice pillow on the strait rodes but makes me uncomfortable in the twisties (nothing terrible just slow down a little more then normal). With all the other room I have I should have gotten a smaller tank bag Also if you don't have GPS the map holders on tank bags are nice. The saddle bags and tail bag are great. Not as quick to take on and off like a magnetic tank bag but mine come off with four clips. I like the tail and saddle bags because there behind me and I don't even notice they are there.
Here's a pic of the tank bag and saddle bags... don't have any pics with all the bags... havn't needed that much space yet

Old 07-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Tail and tank. I can fit everything I need for a couple day trip into a backpack and tank bag, and I can bungee the backpack to the tail if I want. Normally I just let the straps loose enough that the pack sits on the tail so I have no weight on my shoulders.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 PM

I have the cortech sport saddlebags and tail bag. Then I also have the Super 10 tank bag. I like to try and ride as much as possible without the tank bag just because I dont like it being in the way up front. It is nice though to throw in your wallet, cell phone and those things so if you need to get off the bike for some reason, take it with you. Then all your important things are with you and your clothes and such are the only thing left on the bike.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 PM

well i just ordered a tail bag and some sport saddle bags. My roommate has a tank bag if i need to borrow one for this trip.

thanks everyone

Old 07-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usetheffours
I got all three and just pick and choose what will work the best for the trip. I got them all from new enough for dirt cheap too. They are Nelson Rigg. I got the biggest tank bag they offered... it makes a nice pillow on the strait rodes but makes me uncomfortable in the twisties (nothing terrible just slow down a little more then normal). With all the other room I have I should have gotten a smaller tank bag Also if you don't have GPS the map holders on tank bags are nice. The saddle bags and tail bag are great. Not as quick to take on and off like a magnetic tank bag but mine come off with four clips. I like the tail and saddle bags because there behind me and I don't even notice they are there.
Here's a pic of the tank bag and saddle bags... don't have any pics with all the bags... havn't needed that much space yet
It looks as if a passenger can still ride on the back with your saddlebags, have you tried it? My wife and I do road trips and currently use a back pack and small tank bag, looking for better options. Even thinking a new Concours may be in the future....

Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JOECBR600F4i
It looks as if a passenger can still ride on the back with your saddlebags, have you tried it? My wife and I do road trips and currently use a back pack and small tank bag, looking for better options. Even thinking a new Concours may be in the future....
Found your Concours .......

Quick Reply: Touring Question, Which bags are better?