F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

took my f4i to the track!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default took my f4i to the track!

been meaning to write this for a while now. so lets get some things out of the way.
rider weight: uhh 175 last i checked with clothing.

this is all measurements off the average push down pull up distances
FRONT:
springs .95kg
free sag 31.5mm
rider sag 38.5mm
stiction without rider 9mm, with 7mm (not sure it was hard to lift the bike etc with just 2 people.
REAR:
springs 14.2 stock according to racetech
free sag 5mm
rider sag 30mm
stiction without 2mm with 3mm
compression, rebound and preload?? i really wish i just spent a bit more time on it but lets say its to my liking. i have almost no compression on the front because i think im running 10 weight and the new springs

so alot more sag in the front? yup my preload is all the way out to make turn in's easier. and the huge difference in the rear from free sag to rider sag has me thinking my spring rate is too low. my calculations show i need 14.5

TIRE PRESSURE
running some awesome R10's from bridgestone.
front 33.5 psi
rear 32 psi
hot off the track.. well they were hotter off the warmers than the track i could of increased psi to get better wear but i fear i would have less heat.

GEARING:
15f 48r or so i think.. -1 +2 if that lets you use the same length chain.. yeah im sure of it now. that and stock internal gearing.. worked good for the track

so yeah went to the track it was super awesome, its kinda like a beginners track because it has dots to guide you through the apex's.
i realized how much your right hand gets a work out braking and full throttling and turning.
so on with the pics and stuff.

my baby!!! the guy on the zx10 in the back lowsided he had money though.
said he's gonna just drop it off at his mechanic.. wish i had that kinda money to NOT pay a mechanic and buy more goodies.

sorry its a bit blury, rear tire left side, the most used side because this is a going left more track..

right rear.. etc etc

front left.

front right

me with bad body position woo woo!
^^LOOK CLOSELY AT THAT REAR TIRE UP IN THE SUSPENSION! cornering forces that heavy???

this is obviously my favorite one.. if i had proper body position i wonder if i could of touched elbow..
but what happened next ended my track day...

freaking hit hard pieces.. if i couldnt of gotten my elbow down on that last picture i imagine i could of on this one.
yup.. scratched the fairing stator cover, pegs, kickstand. snaped my shifter peg off..

but dont worry, a 1/4'' drilbit, bolt, some washers, a nut, the circular spacer on your peg feelers, and some locktite did the job!!

so now to the advice for anyone wanting to track their f4i. take it as you want im no expert.
raise the rear end, i've heard from a respectable individual that the f4i rear needs to be raised 7 to 10mm.
and properly spring your bike, i guess i could of added more compression on the rear but honestly my rear shock makes an awful suction sound and i dunno about that.
change your damn throttle to a less than 1/6 turn or whatever it is now, i have yet to do this but am wanting to, and get used to it. that would save your wrist.

now for my video, i had a few, quick shifter soft foots i guess. i added a timer jsut because. i know i can pick up speed. i need to get my gears sorted out.
read the video description if you want.

Last edited by RudyGT; 11-23-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:39 PM

looks like a great, fun, and fast track! sucks that you went down.
definitely cant wait to finish my engine and get back to the track next year!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:17 PM

oh i didn't go down, i just leaned over. the bike with stock height was too low to the ground. it was the last lap in the video turn 8. caused me to go wide.
fastest lap on the track is 1:14 by a pro and top speeds over 150 mph it is jennings gp

Old 11-23-2013, 10:47 PM

oh ok i gotcha, But i was actually looking at that track a few days ago, seems like it would be quite fun.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Alright! glad to see that you had fun! thorough notes too. did you check your sag and comp/rebound settings after your sessions? I know that you will get different readings when the suspension is hot and cold. Oh I forgot to put it in the email but I searched all over the spring on the penske and could not find out the ratio.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any further over and the side stand would have touched down too looking at the picture.

Nice video btw!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

When I looked at your tire pictures, I had two thoughts. Either A: This guy is stupid fast in corners or B: your body position is off. I can't believe you got that much lean angle out of the tires without them letting go! Count yourself lucky and work on leaning off the bike. If you had proper BP, you would have had to go much faster to achive that kind of lean angle and touch elbow. Keep working on it, you obviously have some talent.

Originally Posted by RudyGT
so now to the advice for anyone wanting to track their f4i. take it as you want im no expert.
raise the rear end, i've heard from a respectable individual that the f4i rear needs to be raised 7 to 10mm.
Thats suggested more because these things turn like tanks and raising the rear will sharpen steering, but yes an added benifit is clearance.
change your damn throttle to a less than 1/6 turn or whatever it is now, i have yet to do this but am wanting to, and get used to it. that would save your wrist.
I've never had a problem with my wrist. Do you ride daily on the street?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
I've never had a problem with my wrist. Do you ride daily on the street?
yeah i do, but this was a huge difference. there's no roads around here to be that aggressive on the streets.
she was on stands for a week before so i didn't get to ride during that time. and i must say to go wide open throttle is quite a turn.
it may have been the break in riding every day cause that does happen to me, and i did have bad habits like covering the front brake.

also the suspension settings are cold if i had someone else with me during the breaks i would of measured..
and i made no adjustments because the tire wear looked ok albeit pressure could of been low. but i set the rebound and compression hot from the streets

Old 11-26-2013, 02:56 PM

That looks like so much fun. Can't wait to get a new bike and do a track day. U really shredded that tire haha

Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 AM

the rear needs a 7-10mm spacer. I have spent many hours talking with Dave Moss regarding mine and while it seems aggressive, its the proper setting for the f4i

Quick Reply: took my f4i to the track!