F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Took MSF Course this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Took MSF Course this past weekend

i would have to agree on that figure 8 part on my f4i now. i rode a yamaha 250 during the class and aced the figure 8 part. weeks later after getting my f4i i went back to the test spot (cuz it's only at the local community college) and the figure 8 got harder. i felt as tho due to such a much more powerful bike than the 250 the f4i wanted to just keep moving and did not want to stay at consistent speed enough to figure 8.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 PM

i'm taking it in march thru a harley dealership in columbus OH. They're giving us the 500CC buell blast to ride.

sweet.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:19 PM

Congrats on taking the test..I took my msf a month or so ago(refresher/insurance discount).
Had a blast on the 250 hondas they gave us.The instructors say taking them on the buell is a pain compaired to the hondas.Because the buells stall,dont want to idle all the time and have picky brakes(they say at least two go down in every class on buells).

Old 10-21-2007, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: First N Only

Haha....I know what you mean...maybe its just me, but it felt harder to do the figure 8 on the 250 than my bike......I thinkI mightlook into that class also.
ugh figure 8's, i still can't make a good u-turn on my bike and ive been riding since july 06. i have problems with target fixation and i cant seem to get over it. plus when im doing slow u-turns i always feel like im gonna fall over.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 AM

I just got out of the MSF course a couple weeks ago, my biked pooped out on my in evaluation but they gave me another one. The figure 8 was a pain. What I hated was the sudden stop where you have to stop only after the 2nd cone, I kept stopping after the 1st[:@]

Old 10-22-2007, 07:39 PM

I am taking the course in 12 days. Any recommendations? I have been looking around for some cheap insurance and so far have found progressive liability to be the cheapest otherwise dairyland full coverage to be the most competitive. Should I wait to purchase the insurance until I complete the course?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Fireplay5

I am taking the course in 12 days. Any recommendations? I have been looking around for some cheap insurance and so far have found progressive liability to be the cheapest otherwise dairyland full coverage to be the most competitive. Should I wait to purchase the insurance until I complete the course?
Only wait if they are gonna give you a discount (hope you are not riding uninsured).

As far as the MSF course.Just relax and enjoy it .I had a blast during mine.The course is basic knowledge and skills,if you pay attention during the course its a no brainer to pass(but yet you will pick up a lot of little things that makes riding easier).

Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 PM

No, I am not riding at all except in first gear up and down my 1400 ft driveway...lol. I think they do offer a discount and that is why I was thinking of waiting, but I guess I could sign up and then send in the certificate at the time of completion. Anyhow, thanks. I look forward to it.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 PM

When I got me license I only took the DMV test. I went and practiced three weekends in a row. Then on the day, I had a 3 hour wait where all I did was practice. The result, I got a 100% on both written and road, not putting my foot down ONCE! But after riding for two years I realize that didn’t teach me anything but how to ride in a parking lot!!! I am planning on taking the advanced course this winter......as people I know have said they benefited a lot from it. If I had to go back and do things again I would take the class and say screw the DMV! But at the time all I wanted was to have my license and the classroom course had a 5 month wait list! All in all I’m taking the class even after having my license because I want to have as much knowledge as possible while riding incase the I am fronted with a bad situation..again!!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 PM

I learned to ride taking the beginner MSF course, then started riding on a Shadow. When I got my F4i I took the Experienced Rider course. Out here (in AZ) you take that on your own bike. It was great for building skill, learning some valuable lessons and getting more comfortable on the new bike. It's been a few years and i'm thinking of taking it or a like course again. It's just a good reminder and would recommend it for anyone!

Quick Reply: Took MSF Course this past weekend