F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tires for a northern location

Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Default Tires for a northern location

Ok I have been starting to watch for tires as since I have owned the bike have put 6k on the dunlops on it and the suck. Half of the time I drive its either pouring or below 45 degrees. I remember my brother always warning me about the low mileage and having to warm up some of the racing ones. I have dine some searching here a gotten some ideas. I have also looked online a bit and found bt16's cheap, and a few others. I am just unsure of everything I have seen.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 PM

I used the dunlop roadsmart tires last year, the work good in the rain got 8k miles
till I got 2 nails and a staple in the rear. Could of gone 10k easy.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 PM

So, what is your question?

Are you asking for a tire recommendation for a cooler/wet climate? Or are you asking about a good tire brand?

A few factors you might want to consider. Hard or soft compound tires; tires with wide (and deep) water grooves; and, the life of the tire you want.

Softer tires usually warm up faster and will grip better, but have a shorter lifespan. Some people take a medium or harder compound tire and ride with less air to make it ride like a softer tire. Doing so will still shorten the life of the tire, but can increase grip performance.

Harder tires last longer, takes a little longer to heat up and grips well once warm. I've heard people say they don't like harder tires for wet riding, but I've also heard motorcycle race commentators comment on how harder compound tires are great for wet weather once warmed up if the water/rain grooves are wide and deep enough.

Slicks are great for speed and for races, but have very little wet traction.

I live in Philadelphia and use a hard compound tire and always ride at recommended PSI, but I usually don't ride in wet weather and my bike is in storage around this time of the year until the next year's riding season. I care mostly for life of the tire and dry tire performance.

Many people on the forums will probably recommend a type of Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop, Metzeler or Pirelli. My first set of tires (currently still on bike) are Shinko's. Many people don't care for Shinko's, but the rear was brand new when I got the bike, so I added the front. When I change, I'll probably put on some Michelin's.

You might want to get a tire that is good all year long and sacrifice lifespan if you ride a lot in the cold or if it is wet a lot where you are to get great grip performance.

I am by no means an expert, but have learned from what others have commented on in the past.

Last edited by supersnake83; 11-08-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Well mostly tires for the climate, I start riding in the spring (april) weather permitting and usually put the bike away in late October. Up here it seems that we only have 1.5-2 months of extremely nice weather and the rest its cooler and or rainy. Your response has helped quite a bit. Think I am going to stay with a harder compound tire or atleast a dual compound tire. Thanks much.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM

Michelin road 3's. Exactly what your looking for. If I can get 10,000 miles from pilot pures then the road 3's should last forever.