F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tires - BT016 vs Pilot Road 2CT

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires - BT016 vs Pilot Road 2CT

I'm at around 6000 miles on my Dunlop stockers, and I've started shopping around for new tires. After reading a lot of posts on the subject, I think I've narrowed my choices to either the Bridgestone BT016, or the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT. I know everyone loves the Michelin Pilot Powers, but my riding style is mostly commuting and 'spirited' touring, rather than aggressive canyon carving or track riding, so I'm looking for decent tread life more than maximum grip.

Anyone have experience with either of these tires, particularly with regard to life span? I know the BT016's are lower priced, but I'd be willing to pay more for the Pilot Roads if they last significantly longer and still offer decent grip for less-than-all-out riding. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had pilot roads on my bike when I got it. I got roughly 6k - 7k out of them and had descent grip. Now the Pilot road 2's have the sticky edges of the reg powers so to me its a win win when you want mileage plus grip for the mtns etc. No personal exp with the BT016's but heard mixed reviews on them. I prefer the Michelins lol

Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 PM

You also have a pretty large price difference there. If you don't do alot of spirited riding, i'd recommend the regular pilot powers.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by brveagle
You also have a pretty large price difference there. If you don't do alot of spirited riding, i'd recommend the regular pilot powers.
reg PP's are for spirited riding tho lol. I dont think he'll get the mileage he is looking for out of reg PP's or PP2CT's. I have heard and seen ppl get 5 - 6k out of reg PP's but avg is more like 3k.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I was hoping for more than 3-5k miles on the new tires. I figured as a "touring" tire, the Pilot Road 2CT would last longer than the BT016, but I have never seen real-life reports of milage for them. And the 'failure mode' I'm seeing on my old tires is a flattening-out center, which is why I'm attracted to the dual compound options. I'm aware of the price difference, but if you get, say, 4-5k from the BT016, but 8-10k from the PR 2CT, it's worth the higher initial cost.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:46 PM

Good thread, I was hoping for some input on the 2CTs as well. If they can get over 5k miles they'll be my next buy for sure. Ultimately I ended up with some Dunlop Sportmaxs that I got a great deal on: $230 F&R...

Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 PM

I managed 140 miles out of my last set of 2CTs - absolutely destroyed them on the track

Old 06-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Now the Pilot road 2's have the sticky edges of the reg powers so to me its a win win
That can't be right? A shop I bought my PP 2CT's from said the difference between the regular PP and 2CT's is that the 2CT has a 33% harder center for longer tread life but that the sides were the same between the two. So if what you're saying is true then the Pilot Road 2CT, Pilot Power, and Pilot Power 2CT all have the same sidewalls. That doesn't make sense. I think my source is wrong.

According to this website the PP 2CT has a 20% softer side compound than the regular PP. I see nothing that says the Road 2 has the same sidewall as a regular PP though.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/in...=pilotpower2ct

Back to topic, I had regualar Roads and I thought they gripped fine on the street and I had 6500 miles out of them with 4/32 of tread still left. I just did my first track day with Pilot Power 2CT's and these things freakin grip! I'm sure they won't last long though.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM

You always pay more grip. On the track that means seconds off lap times IF and ONLY IF you have the ***** to ride that hard. Honestly, most people would get the same lap time as it is their comfort level, not the tires, that limit them.

For street use, get a tire that lasts... at no time have I had problems on the street with grip. I started off on track tires, then the 2CT's, and now I'm going to a touring tire. Why? Even at twice the posted limit the touring tire has enough grip. Plus the touring tire will last longer, and perform better in the rain.

I know it's fun at the coffee shop to compare chicken strips, or who has the most expensive softest compound tire (and how they need it as touring tires don't have enough grip for their riding style)... the truth is, if they really need a track tire on the street they are a liability, and you should avoid riding with them. Otherwise, its all talk... and we're all guilty of that. Rounding up top speeds, lean angles, how we *really* scuffed out knee sliders...

Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
That can't be right? A shop I bought my PP 2CT's from said the difference between the regular PP and 2CT's is that the 2CT has a 33% harder center for longer tread life but that the sides were the same between the two. So if what you're saying is true then the Pilot Road 2CT, Pilot Power, and Pilot Power 2CT all have the same sidewalls. That doesn't make sense. I think my source is wrong.

According to this website the PP 2CT has a 20% softer side compound than the regular PP. I see nothing that says the Road 2 has the same sidewall as a regular PP though.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/in...=pilotpower2ct

Back to topic, I had regualar Roads and I thought they gripped fine on the street and I had 6500 miles out of them with 4/32 of tread still left. I just did my first track day with Pilot Power 2CT's and these things freakin grip! I'm sure they won't last long though.
No thats not what I meant. The reg PP and the PP2CT's have the same center(from my sources) the 2CT's have a softer side wall. The Roads have a harder center and the Road2CT's have the same center as the reg Roads with a softer sidewall, the sidewall of the reg PP or PP2CT's I'm not sure of tho. The Roads also have a rounder profile than the PP's and PP2CT's so they dont give that same feeling of the tires just wanting to be leaned. Still a good tire and they do get their mileage out. With the Road2CT's tho you still get a bit more confidence in the twisties from the softer sidewalls tho. But I have seen ppl who sled Roads in a couple thousand miles too lol. All depends on how one rides.

Quick Reply: Tires - BT016 vs Pilot Road 2CT