F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tire traction

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
Explain please. I'm here to learn.
We'll skip the public road lecture... for a minute

Munson already nailed it. If you're coming into a low speed turn that hot, the only way you can make it is if you're on the front brake hard. And if you're on the front brake that hard, all your weight has transferred to the front and all the rear wheel can take is a light tap on the brake. It's light from the weight transfer and will lock up in a heartbeat with anything more.

The rear brake is maybe 30% of your braking power. It is better used for minor speed modulation and low traction situations. It cannot significantly reduce your speed without locking the rear and causing the slipping you're experiencing.

And it shouldn't need to on a public road either.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't mean to butt in...but this can be debated...most of my stopping power is with gear/downshifting....front brake has more respond if an attemp to slow down/abrupt stopping..rear brake trails...the gear & front brake. You won't get a complete stop with rear brake and downshifting...but who will need to STOP completely other than a traffic light.... 90mph in 6 gears going into a 25mph corner....when entering your lean...you must be in comfortable 2nd gear....halfway thru ...you can excelerate out of corner...it's personal preference...but for me...90% of the time speed control is by gear... 10% is between front & rear brake...I don't solely rely on front braking.

Originally Posted by Munson
Rear brake, that is. Most of your stopping power comes from the front brake anyway, and in most situations you could do without the rear brake entirely.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
I don't mean to butt in...but this can be debated...most of my stopping power is with gear/downshifting....front brake has more respond if an attemp to slow down/abrupt stopping..rear brake trails...the gear & front brake. You won't get a complete stop with rear brake and downshifting...but who will need to STOP completely other than a traffic light.... 90mph in 6 gears going into a 25mph corner....when entering your lean...you must be in comfortable 2nd gear....halfway thru ...you can excelerate out of corner...it's personal preference...but for me...90% of the time speed control is by gear... 10% is between front & rear brake...I don't solely rely on front braking.
Actually it can't be debated. Front brake has far more stopping power than the rear brake and engine braking... if you know how to properly use it.

If you're only using your brakes to control your speed 10% of the time, you're an accident waiting for a time and place.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:14 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Front brake is there whenever is needed, depending on how aggressive you want to be...are you racing for life & death? Point is being in the correct gear for the corner is key.....and regarding accident waiting to happen.....then be careful of karma... i'll increase to 80% 20% to lower my chances.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Actually it can't be debated. Front brake has far more stopping power than the rear brake and engine braking... if you know how to properly use it.

If you're only using your brakes to control your speed 10% of the time, you're an accident waiting for a time and place.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using engine braking alone to regulate your speed is fine under controlled conditions where you can blip to match RPMs, then ease off the throttle and let the engine slow the rear wheel down. It's a great way to work on smoothness and throttle control. But if you overdo it, you can lock up the rear same as you would with the rear brake. When you need to slow down A LOT RIGHT NOW, you need to be on your front brake.

Maybe the best approach is to start on both brakes, but ease up on the rear and squeeze harder on the front as the weight transfers forward. That will get you your absolute shortest stopping distance. But 9 times out of 10 you can do it all with the front brake, and not even have to worry about possibly locking up the rear.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Front brake is there whenever is needed, depending on how aggressive you want to be...are you racing for life & death? Point is being in the correct gear for the corner is key.....and regarding accident waiting to happen.....then be careful of karma... i'll increase to 80% 20% to lower my chances.
I'm rarely ever this blunt but when it comes to riders trying to learn, I'm very protective. That said: The last person I'd take riding advice from is somebody that has to ask why bikes run with one headlight out.

You can duel with anyone that knows how to use their brakes if you need proof. You engine brake and they front brake to see who sheds speed faster. You'll lose every time. Only reason I can see to try to engine brake all the time is because you like to hear the bike whine. Given the OP is almost certainly locking the rear tire and is using downshifting to shed speed, I'd say the proof has already been given:

He's braking wrong to enter a turn

Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Actually, I posted reply at the same time when Kuroshio did, but my post came in after Kuro...Therefore it sounds like I am debating...my post is regarding a smooth ride thru corner...avoid fishtailing the rear....I understand the importance of front brakes for abrupt stopping power when needed.

Using engine braking alone to regulate your speed is fine under controlled conditions where you can blip to match RPMs, then ease off the throttle and let the engine slow the rear wheel down. It's a great way to work on smoothness and throttle control. But if you overdo it, you can lock up the rear same as you would with the rear brake. When you need to slow down A LOT RIGHT NOW, you need to be on your front brake.

Maybe the best approach is to start on both brakes, but ease up on the rear and squeeze harder on the front as the weight transfers forward. That will get you your absolute shortest stopping distance. But 9 times out of 10 you can do it all with the front brake, and not even have to worry about possibly locking up the rear.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Exactly. Approaching a light or slowing down to check out what's attached to the skirt and high heels walking down the sidewalk (and get her attention), sure engine braking is fine.

Trying to setup for a 25 mph turn coming down from 90? He's begging to lose it. People that can do it usually have endorsements, race for a living and wouldn't have to ask what's happening

Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you can enter a 25mph corner doing 90mph and slow down enough on engine alone without your brakes?
If so then you would get killed on a track as while you are letting your engine slow you down the guys behind you are still accelerating because they are going to use there brakes and can go in to the corner waaaaay faster then you.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Mr. JeffJones...the issue is NOT about WHAT has more/stronger stopping power. It is his Rear tire sliding before he even started the lean from the outside corner...stomping on the rear brake to hard instead of tapping softly..... is NOT a high speed bro...you can do 90mph with 3rd gear 7-8rpm.....just letting go the throttle will bring you down to 60mph with seconds...and if 25mph corner....you DON'T need to slam on the front brake.....tap the rear brake softly and downshift will bring you down to 30-35mph....then outside line in, inside line corner excel out of corners...being in the correct gear for the corner is as important as having the correct speed....the correct speed is the speed rider is comfortable with. 90mph is cruising speed f Don't always put yourself into Race or Die competition mode....

Originally Posted by jeffjones
So you can enter a 25mph corner doing 90mph and slow down enough on engine alone without your brakes?
If so then you would get killed on a track as while you are letting your engine slow you down the guys behind you are still accelerating because they are going to use there brakes and can go in to the corner waaaaay faster then you.

Quick Reply: Tire traction