F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

tire slip/grip

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire slip/grip

Lately i have been riding my new to me '02 f4i. i have ridden many other 600's before, but never had this feeling. When pulling through slower turns (20-40mph)with moderate to heavy, butnot full throttle,my back tirebreaks loose and starts sliding out through the turn. i was wondering if thathappens with anybody else. I am riding on dunlop d208 zr tires. IS it the tires?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Default RE: tire slip/grip

How old are the tires? Are your tires warmed up or does this happen right when you start riding? If your tires are worn, the back end will feel like its slipping when you accelerate hard. You might need new tires. www.ridenowonline.com has really good prices.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 PM

the tires have plenty of life left, the last time the tire broke loose was after about 20 minutes of riding, that should be long enough to warm up. i've been checking the pressures every day too.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 PM

If you have been riding for 20 minutes your tires should be warmed up plenty. I'm not sure what it is bro.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM

i just read some review on these rubbers and some of the people had the same complaint
i guess it doesnt matter since i dont have money for tires anyway

Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 AM

try droping your presure and make sure you not graping thottle. Unless you are pushing really hard. most tire problems can be solved by the rider. Look at it as a game. youhave 1000's of miles to get it right.could also be lines. one line might require a lot of thottle with the bike over another keeps entry speed up and another that makes the corner shorter (meaning by time you have time to get the throttle really open smothly, the bike is almost upright already). Let us know if you find something that works

Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what you've described, it's rider input causing the tires to break loose.

at lean, you don't have much traction other than what part of the tire is still in contact with the road. add that to abrupt/jerky throttle, then the tire breaks loose.

208s are great tires...others will tell you different...the technology is somewhat old though. i went through 4 sets before i went to diablos...

you may also want to check the tire's manufactured date.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 208s DO NOT warm up on the street except for the center of the tire.
I"ve had a set on for 2 years now and I'll tell you, they never really get sticky on the street or have any reasonable grip.The only time they got up to temp and REALLY started working was when I was at the track and that was after at least 2 full laps. It was then that they showed that they have some awesome grip but only when properly warmed up.
I had a set of Diablos on before the 208s and I liked those much better.
So back to your question "is it the tires?"
Yeah, probably.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM

i dont know if WHAT 208 you are running Junkie but the ZR will warm up plenty good for the street and in short order. I never had a problem with them street or track. The 208 GP probably wont warm up on the stree very good though.
The ZR held up fine at the track as well......only when at full lean getting aggressive with the throttle of my 900RR did it start to protest. It will buck you off it you're not careful but I could run some pretty respectable lap times with the ZR's and I'm by no means a "racer". It's not the tire iteself. I would tend to agree with Tahoe, it's probably rider error. TOO much throttle too soon on a less than ideal road and it will let go.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 PM

208s are a bit outdated but still good tires. they do take some time to warm up.
its also possible that you have crap load of chicken strips left over on the tire from the previous owner and you need to wear out the tire a bit on the sides. just a theory.

Quick Reply: tire slip/grip