CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Tire pressure question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/tire-pressure-question-136486/)

romanboy 04-07-2012 03:48 PM

Tire pressure question

so I know the top tire pressure for the bike is:
front 36 psi
rear 42 psi I think, close to that number.

I put my tire pressure to this pressure about a month ago and today I checked the pressure and it was:
front 32
rear 38

This month I did not ride it too much, probably every other 4 days :(

But does your tire pressure go down that fast? Also around what pressure should I refill the tires back up?

last month when I refilled it with air I used the automatic gauge on the gas station air filler to put the pressure to the top specs, when I check it I use a walmart $2 slime magnet air pressure gauge, could that be what causes the discrepancy? as of right now riding with the pressure like this is perfect and no problems so far

74demon 04-07-2012 04:00 PM

Both guages are inaccurate. Temperature can make a difference as well. Warmer temps raise the pressure.

romanboy 04-07-2012 04:02 PM

when you say both gauges are inaccurate, do you mean they both are inaccurate of a proper gauge, or that they both will give different answers, and tire pressure was relatively the same, not that I exactly would know but the amount of riding done before the pressure was taken was the same

74demon 04-07-2012 04:05 PM

I wouldnt trust either guage. The gas station ones are beat up and run over every day, the $2 ones are...$2 ones. Spend a few bucks on a good one, its well worth it.

chambers 04-07-2012 07:18 PM

Your tire pressure can change a decent amount w/ temperature. I bought an accutire digital gauge for my bike for like $12, it's also good to have an old school gauge where the air pressure pushes the stick out just to verify the digital one every now and then.

MadHattr059 04-07-2012 07:25 PM

Yuppers, $10 well spent, never go cheap on any tool, unless it's the only one available and you really need it.

Always check temp with the tires cold.

Unless you have a specific, knowledgeable reason, inflate to the max pressure posted
on the bike frame. Worst case scenerio following that advice...is a slightly stiff ride,
if you are a light rider.

If you are experiencing low tires, after less than a month or longer, try soaping the
tire and bead. It's cheap and should be the first try at fixing the problem.
Look for soap-bubbles, indicating a leak.

Just put a good squirt of dish-soap in 8oz of water. Use an old spray bottle and you're good to go.

If that doesn't work, change the valve-stem inserts. They can go bad and leak.

That should get you an answer/fix, if not be sure and check back and let us know.

Ern

mnguyen84 04-08-2012 10:18 PM

sometimes the people mounting your tires dont change the stems, which may cause your leak air more than usual.

romanboy 04-08-2012 10:24 PM

yeah probably just going to invest in a better gauge and then form there check the stem and tire by doing what madhattr said, digital or manual, any brands or things in particular I should look for?

svek 07-26-2012 07:51 PM

Do you guys really run the max psi? (36f/42r)

HotWheels 07-27-2012 05:33 AM

Yes I do and haven't ever had any problems.