CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Tire help (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/tire-help-110568/)

600F4inoober 05-13-2010 04:39 PM

Tire help

So I have been reading thread upon thread regarding tire combos and which tire is better for what. I really would like everyones input on what tire setup I should use. First off let me state that the bike is not used as a daily driver and will be ridden about 3-4 times a week but sometimes even less. I am looking for traction/stickiness and turning support (kind of goes along with traction) and I don’t mind taking a hit on the longevity of the tread due to how often the bike is ridden. As long as it is not so soft and wears out so quickly that Im left thinking, wow that was a bad choice for a tire. I have narrowed it down to 2 tires.
  • Pilot power 2 CT on front and rear
  • Pilot road 2 on front and rear
  • Pilot road 2 on rear and Pilot power 2 CT on front
I was initially sold on running the Pilot Road 2 both front and rear but now I am reading that the road 2 is a little harder, thus explaining its durability, from the power 2 CT. So now I am thinking that since I don’t ride the bike THAT much that my best choice would be running the Pilot Power 2 CT on both the front and back for maximum traction/stickiness while taking a slight hit on the longevity. Should I go with the Power 2 CT’s?

Also, how long does it take for a stored bike to gain flat spots or tire damage and what can be done to prevent this? Just for my future knowledge.

Thanks

vangill 05-13-2010 05:34 PM

u dont need power 2cts just get reg pp front and rear and be done with it, match the front and rear
or road 2cts if u want something thatll last longer

CodyJ28 05-13-2010 05:46 PM

Pilot road 2 on front and rear

just got these and love them
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/
cheapest place i found them

600F4inoober 05-13-2010 05:53 PM

pp2ct= pilot power 2 CT
pr2= pilot road 2

I know that the pp2ct is less expensive and stickier and softer. This is what I am looking for. Ultimate traction and turning grip/support. I understand the pp2ct will wear quicker than the pr2 due to this. I live in Arizona so the pavement is hot and we never get water on the road. I think the combo of my climate and the pp2ct would be optimal for what Im looking for. I just need someone to convince me that Im not making a mistake by going with the pp2ct rather over the pr2. Ive read that the pr2 is basically the same tire as the pp2ct but a harder middle for longer touring. DOnt know how much that harder center gives up on traction and grip though is the question.

axsys 05-13-2010 06:12 PM

I haven't used the Pilot Road 2, but have used both the Pilot Powers and the Pilot Power 2CTs. I currently have the 2CTs front and rear and they are great. If you want soft and sticky, get those. I usually get about 5k from each tire.

kowen1208 05-13-2010 06:27 PM

It sounds like the 2CTs will suit you better for what you're asking. I went with the Road Twos because I use my bike to commute when I can. They both have a harder compound in the middle, but the Road Two is designed for more casual riding and varying weather conditions.

randyjoy 05-13-2010 07:35 PM

The PP2CTs are excellent. Very sticky. I have them on my 954 and have scraped the fairing at the track and the tires have never let go. They wear surprisingly well, not as good as PRs, but I have gotten 7-8K out of 'em with a few trackdays too.

They are OK in the rain, too.

The Pilot Pures are getting good reviews, but little more $$$.

If you REALLY want sticky but don't care much about wear, the Power One street version is very, very good.

600F4inoober 05-13-2010 08:42 PM

Update: Cyclegear is running a special, front and rear Dunlop Q2's for $199! Its either these or the pilot power one street. Sounds like the pilot power one street is just about the stickiest you can get..with taking a big hit on durability and longevity. So what do you think about the Dunlop Q2's vs pilot power one street?

axsys 05-13-2010 09:44 PM

Everyone recommended the pilot powers, so..... :icon_wink:

randyjoy 05-14-2010 12:02 AM

I'm biased, I'm contract with Michelin with my racebike. But, I signed with Michelin because I love Michelin.

Buddy had Dunlops, after a track lowside he switched to Michelins. Could be tires, tires could be confidence booster. I know guys that swear by Brand A and wouldn't ride anything else, another guy swears by Brand B. I've had very good luck with Michelin, and I also like the swag I get from the race rep LOL.

If you're really considering Power Ones:

I run Power Ones on the track bike, for trackdays I run various tires, either a Power One street rear or a Power One "C" rear and a Power One street front. They are very, very, sticky. Only start getting greasy when they wear (and it's easy to spot the heavy wear I put on them). For actual races, I run a Power One "B" or "V" front and Power One "B" or "C" rear. You can only get the A, B, C, and V rated tires from a competition distributor. And you can't believe how sticky they are until you really rail on 'em.

The durability hit is astronomical on the competition tires, though. I get about 200 miles on a rear and 600 on a front. I get about 1 - 3K on the Power One streets, depends on whether I'm teaching in the Beginner or Intermediate levels. I really wouldn't recommend the competition tires for the street. Just wear too fast.

And another thing, the Power Ones are TERRIBLE in the rain. They only have 5% tread, so the edges are like slicks.

Whatever you run, if you go with the really high end tires, the pressure is much more narrow and critical than with street tires. If you do go with Michelin, let me know what kind and I'll tell you what pressures the Michelin racing rep gave me.