F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Time for some replacements!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for some replacements!

I am getting ready to replace my chain and clutch. What is a good chain to get?? Also what is a good clutch kit?? I ride alot of in town riding, but when i do go on road trips, I ride my bike very hard. So looking for something that will last but also perform.

On a side note, I just got done with a 800 mile road trip that took me on highway 3 and highway 36 of northern california. If you ever get a chance, go ride those roads because they are awesome. Anyways I noticed my brakes fade under hard braking. My pads and rotors are still like 70 percent life so I am not going to replace them anytime soon. But when I do replace what are some really good pads??

Thanks

Old 05-31-2010, 08:47 PM
July 2010 ROTM

stock on everything is pretty good. chains-i like rk and did

Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When was the last time you flushed the brake fluid and bled the brakes? Brake fade is a sign of old fluid or air in the lines.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock on everything is pretty good. chains-i like rk and did
Yeah, stock clutch is pretty darn good and I like RK gold chains.
Brake fluid change is a good idea, and if someone put el-cheapo pads on your bike, you may want to look into some ebc HH pads or something similar.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Stay away from Barnett clutches...they are racing clutches and burn out pretty quick. I had one go on me in just one summer. I went back to OEM.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:08 PM

Stock seams good enough. I haven't had any problems with DID chains.
Steel braided brake lines will help the sponginess. I plan on getting some next time I flush the brake fluid.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the input. I am the second owner, so I dont know how old fluid is or if parts are stock or not. I will replace with the oem clutch and bleed the brake lines.
Thanks for the help!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 PM
vaa

Stainless Lines and bleed the $#!t out of them should help with the brakes. Go with the stock clutch. I went with a 520 conversion and geared it -1 front and +2 in the rear. I'm still building it so I haven't had a chance to ride it with that gearing but it should add some pep.

I've got SS lines and a Brembo MC on my GSX-R 1K and the brakes are rock solid. I'm about to put Vesrah RJL pads and Axis Cobra SS rotors on it. Supposed to be a great set of pads. Not sure if they make them for the F4i.

GL with your decisions.
V

Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgehemi7
Thanks for all the input. I am the second owner, so I dont know how old fluid is or if parts are stock or not. I will replace with the oem clutch and bleed the brake lines.
Thanks for the help!!!
It's an 03? Safe bet, the brake fluid is 7 years old

Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 AM

Kuroshio, you are probably right. I just pulled the air filter today and discovered that it was hammered. Good chance it could be 3 to 7 years old. I got the bike the first week of march. Been so excited to ride that I havent taken the time to go through everything.

I have michelin pilot power tires. They seem to be a good tire and my rear tire is due for a new one. What is the average life that tire??

Thanks

Quick Reply: Time for some replacements!