CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Ticking at 1 -4k RPMs? Am I overdue for Valve Adjustments? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/ticking-1-4k-rpms-am-i-overdue-valve-adjustments-129421/)

DevilInDisguise 08-09-2011 03:05 PM

Ticking at 1 -4k RPMs? Am I overdue for Valve Adjustments?

Hey guys so I could hear this tiny rattle at 1-4k RPMs. I dont think its the CCT. Anyway My bike just turned 32k Miles and I lost contact with the previous owner, so I no way of knowing if he had the valves checked. I do regular maintenance on the bike, however I am nervous it will cost me a lot if the valves were not properly adjusted. I would like to know what to consequences are if the valves were not adjustment on time, and how much would it cost me to fix it. The bike runs really well though. I never had a problem with it.

Last question : A friend of mine is also looking into buying a bike. He is looking at a 2006 F4I will 13k miles. I went with him to check it out and the bike was in good condition with some scratches. The owner told us that he has not ridden the bike in 4 weeks, but it started right up. What concerned me though is I saw liquid leaking from below. I asked him about it and he told me that its water from the exhaust. I am not sure if he is trying to hide something, but its better I ask here. Thanks.

Kevwa451 08-09-2011 03:18 PM

What color was the liquid and is it stored outside without a cover? I only ask because if I wash my bike water will drip out of the lower fairing for hours, even if I ride it afterwards a small puddle still forms usually. I wouldn't think the condensation inside the exhaust would leak out of the bottom but I guess it's not impossible.

DevilInDisguise 08-09-2011 03:56 PM

Hi Kev. I believe he stores his bike in his backyard. After we left I noticed him parking it in like a shed. I am pretty sure he lives it outside also. If thats the case then everything seems fine. Seems like an expensive deal though. He is selling for 3600, but it needs a new tire and registration is due next month.

R Dub 08-09-2011 04:39 PM

At 32K I would say it is time to get those valves checked. Even if it is not the cause of your problem it is a good idea at that mileage especially if you plan to keep the bike fore a while. I would think it would cost you about $400 at the stealer.

MadHattr059 08-09-2011 05:02 PM

Money well spent. +1 to R Dub, he's giving you the straight skinny.

As far as the other scooter, for your buddy, I'd pass. There are lots of fish in
the sea. If you have even one ****ling-doubt, walk. You might be missing
a good deal, "So what?". There are lots of good deals out there.

Just politely,
say, "I'll think about it." and hit the bricks. If he gives you the "It might be sold
before you get back" or other-wise trys to pressure you, THAT my friend, is
a flag. There's a reason he's trying to dump it.

Let us know how it turns out. Very well, I hope. ;-)

Ern