F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Throttle Body Removal: DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Removal: DIY

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the throttle body off a 01 CBR 600? I have loosened the clamps around the insulators and they simply won't budge.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:32 PM

There are two screws you need to loosen for each one. Theres the ones you need to loosen with a long screw driver through the frame, and there screws on the back side. You need to loosen these as well, and you'll need a very very small flat head screw driver. It may be a little frustrating, but take your time. Once those are loosened, grab the throttle body by the fuel rail and pull it off.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the reply!

So I need to loosen the clamps around the top of the insulators as well (the ones facing towards the front of the bike)? Is that the other screw you are talking about on each one?

To sound dumb, what is the small flat head screw driver for?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zellster you are wrong on two parts. All you need to loosen up is one phillip screw for each of the four insulators (the bottom ones to the cylinder head) which you will need a very long phillip screwdriver or rachet extensions for. And second, DO NOT pull by the fuel rails, the service manual even says not to and it's common sense why that would be a bad idea. My bike has 8k miles and it's an 06' so when i took mine off yesterday i didnt have to pull too hard to get the throttle body out, if yours is older or with higher mileage you will have to pull jus a bit longer. GL!

Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body Removal: DIY-dsc07929.jpg   Throttle Body Removal: DIY-dsc07930.jpg   Throttle Body Removal: DIY-dsc07952.jpg   Throttle Body Removal: DIY-dsc07957.jpg   Throttle Body Removal: DIY-dsc07958.jpg  

Last edited by manny04; 10-30-2010 at 08:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hotfats (04-23-2022)
Old 10-30-2010, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by manny04
zellster you are wrong on two parts. All you need to loosen up is one phillip screw for each of the four insulators (the bottom ones to the cylinder head) which you will need a very long phillip screwdriver or rachet extensions for. And second, DO NOT pull by the fuel rails, the service manual even says not to and it's common sense why that would be a bad idea. My bike has 8k miles and it's an 06' so when i took mine off yesterday i didnt have to pull too hard to get the throttle body out, if yours is older or with higher mileage you will have to pull jus a bit longer. GL!
There's nothing wrong with loosening the front insulator screws, it will make it easier to pull off the throttle body. It's probably not the best idea the hold onto the fuel rail when pulling the thing off, you're right. Hopefully my common sense will reach your level one day.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by zellster
Hopefully my common sense will reach your level one day.
Hey thanks! lol..well i'm going to automotive school and when i read that it just stuck out like a sore thumb(especially telling someone else to do it), plus the service manual mentioned it and i know not to overlook a warning like that anymore.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 PM

manny04... Thanks for all the informative pictures. It definitely helps me make sure I am doing the right thing.

Can you think of any other tricks to get it off? The screws are completely loosened, any looser and they would fall out. I even, out of desperation for more pulling power, put a c-clamp around the lip (to get the ultimate grip) and pulled to the point that the front fork was completely uncompressed and it won't budge. The bike is an '01 with 18000 miles on it.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 PM

damn, i wish i was there to see whats going on.. The only thing i can think of is that somebody has taken it off before and screwed it back on over the specified torque(which is really easy to do i found out today when putting it all back together), and caused the rubber insulator to melt on to the cylinder head, almost like their fused together.

Sounds like your pulling hard enough, i would try breaking the bead which in turn might damage the insulators and you might have to buy new ones, dont know what they run but they can't be too expensive(<<thats last resort though). I wonder if the last ******* that took them off glued them back together.

What are you working on anyways?

Last edited by manny04; 11-01-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 AM

where do you live in northern va, i live in leesburg and could swing by to take a look with you

Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM

manny04... Ugh! Not sure how I am going to get anything in there to break the seal. With the amount of force I am applying to remove them I may just have to cut them off somehow and get new ones.

So the amusing thing is that what I am trying to replace has nothing to do with the throttle body. The hoses coming off the top of the water pump going to the back of the engine are shot and leaking coolant (well one is but I figured while ripping everything apart may as well do them both). The hoses clamp is IMPOSSIBLE to get to since the angle the screw head is pointing does not allow me to get to it. So my only option (that I thought would be easiest) was to just pop off the throttle body to give enough room to work.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Removal: DIY