F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Thoughts on my rear tire...Should I leave it parked ubtill next season?(Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts on my rear tire...Should I leave it parked ubtill next season?(Pics)

ORIGINAL: Blackdog F4i

Now I am considering keeping a spare on the shelf in the garage. Another benefit to having your own tire changer. No worry if the dealer is open or not.
I've got an extra wheel. Tire already mounted. Just check pressure, mount and ride (If I need it).

Old 09-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thoughts on my rear tire...Should I leave it parked ubtill next season?(Pics)

ORIGINAL: JLeosnow

Hi all,
I came across this as I was cleaning the bike up last night and would like to know other opinions... Take a look at the pics below and tell me what your thoughts are on finishing out the rest of the season on this rear tire(expect to put on approx. 500-700 miles of commuting and a weekend or 2 of riding). I have new Michelin Pilot Powers on order but they wont be in my possession for about 10 days and then getting them mounted will pretty much put me beyond the end of the riding season. Do you think it would be wise to leave it parked until next season given what you see...??

Thanks,
-John

[IMG]local://upfiles/8258/B30D2F6382144CDABE63006FA5FBE21D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8258/F63232AF7BA340E3B75B7136C2AC0F99.jpg[/IMG]

Na keep riding....
Looks like a good rain tire to me[sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 09-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seriously i'd rock it. i ride all my tires out that far. actually i've seen them with cords all the way around. and we're still pullin them up... just watch it for losing air and youre cool

Old 09-29-2006, 10:43 PM

This sounds more like a joke to me. You "just came across this as you were cleaning the bike". If so then get off the road and don't ride near me. If you can't tell your tires are showing steel prior to that then you are more dangerous than anyone on a cell phone or a soccer mom disciplining her kids. And if you have to ask then, seriously, something is wrong. The saying is rubber side down for a reason.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:33 AM

ORIGINAL: traitorhound

bro that tire is done. . ive seen peopel ride on worse but they are stunters and just going to blow it out anyway. the steel carcass is showing it could potentially loose air quickly and i know you don't want to be stranded on the road so for your sake i hope you change that out or park it. hell i change my tires well before that point and i rode a lot this season (well the season never ends here in FL) but i did 11k in a year and probably more than that this year
traitorhound,
Thanks for your input.

-John

Old 09-30-2006, 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

Are you insane?

Dude, you have no tread left and have the underlayer exposed. How did you get that far gone? Do you ever check out your bike, or just ride it until something blows up or falls off??

Don't even think of riding the bike until you get a new tire, and check the rest of the bike out while you are at it, because if you let the tire get that bad without noticing, I am sure there are other things that need tending to like the chain, sprockets or breaks.

SquireSCA,
I had every intention of replacing the rubber this winter and knew that the tire was VERY worn. I purchased the bike with 6700 miles on it in June and put 5200 miles on it since so I never really got a good idea of what it looked like new. I check the bike over frequently(clean after EVERY ride and lube chain every 300-500 miles) and this was the 1st time I saw the cord exposed. It is a very short section(2"-3" long) which was not all that obvious(like cords showing the complete circumference of the tire diameter) and honestly believe it happened(cord exposure) on the ride just prior to noticing. I got my answer(don't ride) from the replies and thank you for your input.

Thanks,
-John

Old 09-30-2006, 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: PitbullF4i

thats asking for a blow out, forget it, 30% tread left i chuck it
PitbullF4i,
Thank you for your input!

-John

Old 09-30-2006, 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

obviously don't actually ride on them more than a few miles to get them changed, however if your not going to ride it at all its probably better they sit on those tires than new ones
now if you store your bike on stands you might as well go ahead and swap the tires out imo
woodyracing,
Thanks for your straight up answer and opinion..... That is exactly what I was looking for!

-John

Old 09-30-2006, 05:29 AM

thats fine for the rest of the season, just ride slow and no fast turns