F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Thinking of buying an F4i

Old 08-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying an F4i

Second post, looking for some general advice. My wife and I took the MSF class about 3 months ago, and we bought a Ninja 500ex, ok well she bought it. It's her bike, we sold he car and she got a bike. It was hard convincing her to get the 500 over the 250, but she's really glad she got one now. So I'm starting to take the bike out more and more, trying to commute on it etc... And I'm thinking about getting my own bike, I've already settled on an F4i, I'm a honda fan, and the F4i seems to be the right bike, I've sat on it, and fits nice, and Fuel Injected, inline four, that's what I'm after.

My fears are that I'll buy the bike (finance) and I won't ride it. I'm a new rider, but I really am enjoying taking it out. I don't have any friends pressuring me into this or anything, and I'm a pretty reserved rider as is now, and don't expect to be doing anything crazy.

Things in favor:
Cuts my commute time in half, from an an hour and a half down to 45, or less if the conditions are good. I made it in the morning in 30 minutes yesterday.
Would be fun to have my own, and ride with the wife.
I really want it, I'm not going to kid myself, it's a huge toy, but I don't want it to be a waste.

Things against:
worried I won't actually use it for the price I would pay for it.

Is it common for people to buy a bike and then not ride it? What kind of people really ride their bike everyday, or at least almost everyday...

I like the 500ex, or an SV650 for half the price, but let's not kid our selves, I wouldn't buy one now that I have one... but it's the only bike that would fit my wife, so that's settled. Credit is fine, insurance would be like 40$ a month, my credit union is putting out 9.2% financing on used bikes, and I made a deal with myself if I could quit smoking, that would be enough to buy myself a bike... and I'm almost there. But this is a big decision, any helpful words in people who may have gone through similar experience? From non-rider, to full time rider?

Thanks, Bill

Old 08-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Default RE: Thinking of buying an F4i

u will get hooked ..i dotn ride everday ..sometimes i get up at 5:30 am, the night b4 i say ill ride but ..then wanting my coffee takes over and i take my truck to work ..lol, i think if its sitting there u will ride it ...specially since ur wife has a bike ....my gf hates bikes, but thats fine by me i dotn have to double her then ..lol. i say go for it dude.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:14 AM

Buy a bike, you wont regret it. I felt the same way, now I ride all summer long, car in the winter or when i have my wife and daughter with me. Even when the bike sits for a few weeks cause i dont have time to ride, the crisp, early saturday morning when i do hit the roa, a huge smile comes on my face and i remember why i bought the thing in the first place.
That being said, buy my f4i, it is a 2001, perfect for a new rider and i think im about ready to move up to a 1000 RR next summer! My bike looks like the picture above.-Mike

Old 08-24-2006, 01:17 AM

Are you riding into city / traffic?

I have a ten min, 1 road commute.
I have ridden practically EVERY day since I got mine.
but, your ride is totally different.

I didnt have one to try before I got mine.

See if you can ride to work EVERY day for 2 weeks.
If you actually ENJOY making that happen, chances are, you will USE whatever you buy.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:31 AM

Heres the thing you took the MSF course? You know how to ride. The one toy in my life that I wanted and have always wanted is a Honda Sportbike. Even if you get it and don't ride it very much... you won't go wrong. And to mention you look cooler than ice.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. I have a very heavily congested commute, into DC from an outlying area. The bus + subway takes me about an hour 15 to hour 30... On the bike it took me today 45 minutes.

I still have alot to learn about riding, but once school gets back in order after sept 7th or so, I'll start taking the 500ex daily and see how things shape up. I can't imagine it's much worse, It's hot, but it's alot less stressful than fighting old ladies for a seat on the bus!

The Ninja is really upright, which might be good for the back, but It really sticks your head up above the wind shield, I'm hoping the f4i is a tad bit more aerodynamic.

Now the question is 04-05 or 01-03 i.e. 2 seat or 1 seat ... 01-03 is going to be alot cheaper, but there has been a few 04/05 which weren't too expensive compared to their nada price, but it really comes down to what is going to be available mid september in the DC area.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey in reality, think about safety and the well-being of your family before you purchase the bike. recent stats have shown increases in motorycle related accidents and fatalities. many say, and i think they are right, it can be attributed to soaring gas prices influencing people to seek different modes of transportation...bike...with the influx of new riders trying to save gas money, we now have many new riders and commuters on the streets...and traffic situation is the worst for a new rider...

so i say just reconsider if it's about saving gas money, because your life isn't worth any amount of bling. practice on the wife's bike for awhile before you get an F4i...and when you do, i'd buy used...better deals and let someone else take the initial hit of depreciation...you will pay what the bike is truly worth. these bikes are awesome...very reliable and easy to work on...i have 40K on mines and not a single problem that was not caused by me! hahaha...

so please just reconsider...yes get the bike, but don't commute on it just yet, especially in DC!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 PM

Ride the Ninja for QUITE AWHILE before thinking about an F4i.

You are probably thinking "only 100cc difference" but you are looking at standard bike vs. championship race bike. For a commuter the EX500 is a better choice. If you want something more "manly" (means you are embarrased to be seen on a EX500) then get the SV650. Still a good all around bike with sporting potention (lots of guys track them).

Don't make a choice with your Ego that your body will have to suffer.

Look at it this way. I have a F4i and can ride the snot out of it. I want a 250 for commuting/carving twisties.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:19 PM

Not a good first Bike ( 95 hp & 150+ mph ) I cant see any one out growing this bike. I would ride the wifes some more and get the same.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:23 PM

the ex500 is a great bike to learn on. you won't get bored with it too fast and its very forgiving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an F4i