F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is there a flush mount write up anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a flush mount write up anywhere?

I have some flush mounts installed already but I broke one of them so I'm changing them both out. Do I have to take the side fairing off to get the bolt off holding the signal in? Please advise. I did search but didn't find anything.

Here are the signals I have now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220243162955

Old ones have 2 black wires

Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Default RE: Is there a flush mount write up anywhere?

Yes you will have to take off the side fairings, even the upper if you want to make it easier. If the ones you bought on ebay doesn't have the orange and blue connectors you're gonna have to cut your old ones and solder them on to the new ones.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:26 PM

yeah if you take the upper cowl off it will be easy. Flushmounts are a pretty easy mod. Usually black or green is ground so connect those two and the other on (yellow on the signals) will connect to the solid blue or orange or whatever color. Not the striped one. I think this is right i did mine a while ago and can't remember for sure.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:08 AM

you dont have to take off the upper if u have somewhat normal size hands, now if u have some behemoth *** hands then the uppers gotta come off. idk why everyone says its easier to take off the upper for it, trust me if u dont have an extra set of hands leave that bitch on cuz ur gonna cuss throw things to get it back on. the 2 wires is walk in the park if u need help just pm me, if they have three and u want it on there then its for the running lights but u need to wire a resistor on it and if ur not comfortable about soldering it up dont attempt its just an added bonus to have them on all the time. take the fairing off reach behind pull the wires and wire up, cakewalk pretty much anyone can do it

Old 06-21-2008, 02:58 AM

I dont think taking the upper front fairing off is hard at all....bolt off, bolt on. Cake.

I didn't use a saudering gun for doing mine...I just got the heat inphased butt connectors. The ones you heat up, and they seal right onto the wires.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Maniak05

I dont think taking the upper front fairing off is hard at all....bolt off, bolt on. Cake.

I didn't use a saudering gun for doing mine...I just got the heat inphased butt connectors. The ones you heat up, and they seal right onto the wires.
Interested in these, not sure what they are but where'd you get em?

Old 06-21-2008, 03:36 AM

ORIGINAL: whtan20

ORIGINAL: Maniak05

Interested in these, not sure what they are but where'd you get em?

I've used them before with wiring stuff on cars...I just get them at a local parts store. Also called Heat Shrink or Weatherproof butt connectors.

Looks like this:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...goryCode=3067N

Old 06-21-2008, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: mauthman

yeah if you take the upper cowl off it will be easy. Flushmounts are a pretty easy mod. Usually black or green is ground so connect those two and the other on (yellow on the signals) will connect to the solid blue or orange or whatever color. Not the striped one. I think this is right i did mine a while ago and can't remember for sure.
yup. Just had to take my flushies off last week to paint the bike... Green is ground on both sides, and solid blue and solid orange are the positives. Unless the flushies you have act as running lights too, you don't connect the orange/white and blue/white wires to anything.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:35 PM

The bolts don't seem to be the stock ones. My question is what tool do I use to get the bolts off? I have 3 different sizes of whatever the tool is called and none of them fit. Would any hardware store have tbe size I need and could someone tell me the exact one since I can't get the bolt off to take it to the store.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:59 PM

^ what bolts? The fairing bolts? I just checked, and the stock fairing bolts use 5mm hex keys.

And to correct whtan, I don't believe you'll need to take the sides off... just taking off the front upper will be fine, since that's the only piece the front signals are attached to.

Quick Reply: Is there a flush mount write up anywhere?