CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   testing ignition coils? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/testing-ignition-coils-154284/)

jeremymik84 04-16-2016 10:15 PM

All coils and plugs sparked when I held them against top of motor and turned it over

74demon 04-17-2016 09:33 AM

Are those readings in psi?
It should be around 175 . Strange that they are all pretty even and not low on the one cylinder in question. Low compression would cause the unburned fuel smell and make it run pretty bad....

What's the history of this motor/bike?

jeremymik84 04-17-2016 10:00 AM

Yeah it's PSI. It's got 39k. I bought with 28k. It's been serviced and all regularly since I've had it. I bought it from my buddy I grew up with. It's been smelling like fuel for a while now getting gradually worse. I thought it was due to the slip on exhaust with no power commander but I'm not sure. I replaced the FPR, I've replaced spark plugs and put a stock air filter rather than the k&n it had. I'm at a loss.. It doesn't seem to run that bad. However it is kind of "skippy" when accelerating slowly. The oil has a hint of fuel also. Other than that it's been great. Never hard to start. Idles good until it gets above 210 then it wants to idle low.

74demon 04-17-2016 10:36 AM

Have you ever checked your valve clearances?

You may want to do another compression test just to be sure.

74demon 04-17-2016 10:40 AM

Make sure the compression hose seals really good too. There should be an o ring on it to help it seal

jeremymik84 04-17-2016 01:50 PM

I screw it in as far as I can until it gets too tight to turn, I get about 5-6 good rotations on the whole hose. You know we got that bar that goes right above the spark plug holes so not a lot of room but there's a line on the adapter that screws in that's more than halfway up from where it seas so I think it's good on the seal. As far as the valve adjustment no I've never checked it honestly.

74demon 04-17-2016 02:32 PM

Valves would be worth checking. You hope they are all tight to explain your low compression.

Another trick is to put s little oil in the cylinder and check the compression again. The oil will seal the rings for the test. If the numbers come up, you have ring issues. If they don't, then your problem is in the upper end.

But I would think that all of the rings wouldn't go bad equally at the same time.

jeremymik84 04-17-2016 04:04 PM

When you say a little oil how much do you mean and do I just drop it into the spark plug hole? And so are you thinking its valves just needing adjustment? Why would the bike only run worse when I unplugged all but that one cylinder? All 3 others it bogged down when I unplugged the coil connector. On #4(closest to cct) it ran the same plugged in or not

74demon 04-17-2016 04:44 PM

A tight valve can cause low compression by not letting the valve seat all the way.

Originally you were chasing the one bad cylinder. So far, nothing has explained why only 1 would be a problem. Trying to find it has revealed something else.

jeremymik84 04-17-2016 07:45 PM

Gotcha, I think the valve adjustment would be a little over my head. I'm gonna try to find someone who can do it or help me do it I guess lol