CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Tank not draining water (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/tank-not-draining-water-123444/)

Amatsu Mikaboshi 04-04-2011 01:49 PM

Tank not draining water

My wife has an 05F4i and we took it in for a 16k tune up. The tech told us there was rust in the tank. Confused on how this happened we got the tank treated and removed the rust. My wife rides about 4 days a week and has since I got her the bike on 05 (new bike).

Well we washed the bike and the next day went to put gas in it. Opened the gas cap and there was water all around the opening to the tank. It doesn't seem to be draining at all.

How can i try to fix this? Pipe cleaners? I haven't had the chance to pull the tank off yet. I did check the lines, the breather is good, but the other 2 rubber hoses that hang down do not let me push or suck air through them.

My questions are, what are theses hoses for? One is to let the tank breath which works, but the other two do what? I'm assuming one is the hose that is used to drain the tank.

What would be the best way to tackle this problem ?

thanks

skameigh 04-04-2011 01:54 PM

I have this same issue and am looking for an answer! Nice to see Im not the only one!

600F4inoober 04-04-2011 01:54 PM

The other one is the overflow...check the hose's connection to the bottom of the tank..Im curious as to how water is getting into the cap/tank though?:icon_shrug:

Amatsu Mikaboshi 04-04-2011 02:02 PM

everytime she washes her bike it gets into that cap area.. not into the tank itself, but the area around the hole where you put gas in.

I'm going to take off the cap, i think there is a rubber gasket in there that might be bad.

kazspeed 04-04-2011 02:04 PM

I dont know about anyone else but I'm confused as to where this water is....under where you flip up to insert the key?

Post a pic if you can

Amatsu Mikaboshi 04-04-2011 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by kazspeed (Post 1034534)
I dont know about anyone else but I'm confused as to where this water is....under where you flip up to insert the key?

Post a pic if you can

I'm at work and her bike is at home, I'll post a pic later.

But this is where the water is at. take out key, put in gas cap and open cap. You see the hole where you put gas into the tank. That hole is raised up a little bit and around that hole is smooth metal. Thats where the water collects.

Sick97SS 04-04-2011 02:20 PM

If the water just gets in that cap area... It SHOULD be draining down that overflow hole on the left. It serves both an overflow drain and rain water drain. So water in there after a wash is ok, as long and it can drain out.

Try sliding a flimsey coat hanger down the hole to see if you can pop out the clog without messing with the tank.

Rust in the tank is a whole other problem.

Amatsu Mikaboshi 04-04-2011 02:39 PM

thats exactly the issue, its not draining.

I'll try the coat hanger, thats a good idea. I was thinking of using a pipe cleaner but I don't think it would be strong enough.

and we got the rust out of the tank and treated it. This had to be the issue to why it rusted in the first place.

one question, about how fast should it drain? just so i know if i'm making headway or not on it.

Sick97SS 04-04-2011 02:44 PM

It's a 8mm I.D. hose, so it should drain pretty fast.

The hole curves around the tank before it exits the bottom, so you'll need a really weak or bendable coat hanger to be able to make the bends.

Amatsu Mikaboshi 04-04-2011 02:49 PM

thanks for the help buddy! I'll let you know how it goes when I get home today.