Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Talk about a weird question

i think you meant aero dynamics and not fluid?[8D]

Old 02-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In terms of physics, air is addressed in fluid dynamics[8D].
This is because moving air behaves in the same way as a moving liquid.
Aerodynamics is just more specialized [sm=shades.gif]
--Acumen

Old 02-07-2007, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

My buddy had a ferret that would love to sleep in his helmet...do you have any pets? On a side note, that thing would love to be put in a pillow case and swung around like a tilt-a-whirl...but I digress.
Hahahaha!!! That's quite a funny mental image!

Old 02-08-2007, 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw
They make ones that are bandana-style, and others that are super similar to simple respirators. Heck, even a neoprene lower face, face mask would help. I wear a balaclava and let me tell you - after riding in traffic for an hour or so that thing has a smell to it that will male you vomit if you've been in it all day and didn't realize it.

That gas will jack you up and anyone that spends a good deal of time on a bike should seriously reconsider how many exhausts they're sucking on all day...

Cover your face up!
How much and where can we get these? I sit in a tunnel for 20 minutes sometimes, which is almost a mile long underground, and it starts to smell bad, I might consider one if it's not too much.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:04 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Acumen

Has anyone else noticed that a smell gets "stuck" in their nose after riding?
Lately I've been experiencing something liek this and I can't explain it any other way.
It's like after I ride I smell the same thing everywhere I go.
Part of me thinks I'm insane and part of me thinks there's dust and exhaust getting drawn into my nasal cavity.

I don't smell exhaust and all the stuff others are talking about but my guess is it's the closest thing to your nose that's a constant every time you ride ... your HELMET. How long have you had it and where do you store it? Maybe some of the smell is caught up in the liner (like smokers clothes) and carries in your hair after the ride .. just needs to be washed? dunno, just a guess.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

I don't buy the whole catalytic converter thing.

It's just too obvious that your entire body is completely exposed to everyone elses exhausts all day long. I'm not saying a minute amount isn't yours - but I am saying what you are smelling and smelling like is passenger vehicle exhaust - not your motorcycles. It doesn't even make sense...

You exhaust starts about 8 inches in front of, and maybe 3-4 inches below your knees. The exhaust in enclosed in fairings - the only time ANY of that is going to get on you is when sitting still - and if you're familiar with the finesse of riding - you more than likely look ahead often and ride in such a manner that keeps you from having to come to a complete stop. When you're moving, all the exhaust that might be getting on you is being redirected through the fairings and out the lower portion of your bike - it's going to follow the path of least resistence - which when considering the air-flow dynamics on your bike - is going to be down and out the back of the bike with the rest of it being carried out through your pipe.

It simply doesn't make sense that the smell is attributed to YOUR exhaust... it just doesn't. Especially when you're sucking on everyone elses exhaust at near face-level. Hmmmmmmm... I wonder why I smell like exhaust again???

Those neoprene face masks can be bought anywhere. I can't remember where I saw the monoxide masks... I'll look for a link.

EDIT: http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/clothing.html

Scroll down to Motorcycle Urban Mask. I'll try to find another link with a company inside the US. I think the company I originally saw it from was in California... go figure.

RE-EDIT: I can only find UK made ones at the moment...

http://www.whitedogbikes.com/cgi-bin...port_Face_Mask

Old 02-08-2007, 04:18 PM

kidcr3nshaw i guess you dont understand the whole emissions requirments on a car which is fine i dont expect people to. or how air flow works which is fine to.

this is what i want you to do. fo you have a mesh jacket? or a peice of clothing your were all time when your riding? go out and start your car and let it warm up and then stand behind it and take a breath of air in. then repeat the process with your bike make sure you do this out side so you dont sufficate your self and im not saying that to be funny. im positive you will notice its the bike why becuase i have done it and i know from working on many engines.

if your have bike runs rich becuase of monding or you have a high mount the smell of the exhaust will be greater.

oh and understand how your exhuast gets on you. think of it like this think of a rock in a stream. when you look at it the water runs around the rock but a swirl action right after the rock brings the water back in behind it. your exhaust does the same thing with air flow.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

Like I said, I don't deny that a tiny portion of the smell comes from your bike... when not moving.

But how can you sit there and tell me that it has nothing to do with the fact that you're sitting face-level with all the other cars and trucks on the road and their exhaust is right in your face???

Anyone that has gotten stuck at a light behind some rednecks 4WD's dual exhaust smakcking you in the face knows exactly what I'm talking about. You notice it immediately and either try and back up a bit or put your visor down.

And that's only WHEN you notice it because of some crappy smelling diesel engine is blowing black smoke in your face. The rest of the time you don't even notice it much unless you're behind an older car and you can SEE it.

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. And those masks I refered to - they didn't get produced to prevent you from smelling YOUR exhaust - and they work well for a reason...

They filter out the majority of pollutants created by other vehicles.

Like I said, I don't doubt SOME of it can be attributed to your bike - but only when at a very low speed or standing still letting it rise up your forks and into your face.

I understand the air flow - and with the exhaust sitting inside all that plastic (sportbikes), it's being directed outwards and backwards when in motion - path of least resistance.

You can cite emissions requirements until your blue in the face. But basic physics prevail with the path of least resistance - which when in motion absolutely isn't up and in your face.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Candymanmo06F4I

I was sittin here trying to figure out how you guys were smelling like your bikes unless you are just sitting behind the exhaust pipe while its running. I get that smell too but only notice it when im in traffic.
you mean you guys don't do that? I like to get off my bike and just stand behind my exhaust soaking in the raw power... POWER!

PS. I effing love the smell of burnt gas. Working at the DZ, burnt jet fuel is the best smell ever. I came home once from riding and my puppy came up and wouldn't stop smelling my clothes because they smelt like burnt fuel, and I exclaimed to the lord "NOW YOU'RE A REAL MAN!"

Old 02-08-2007, 04:47 PM

okay say your right . i dont ride in traffic much or really at all but all my gear still has that smell so......then whats cuasing it?
and thanks for callin me a redneck cuase my truck but if that cat is damaged or is cut off you will get the same smell and yes diesels are bad. but dont make it out like your sucking on raw exhaust and its right in your face most cars exhaust is not right in your face and people sell thouse maskes becuase people are willing to buy them. there are tons of products sold that dont work but people still buy.
your not breathing any more fumes in on the bike then you would be in your car. if your windows are open it will get in your car if your turn on your heat or a/c where you think its sucking that air in from and the are no carbon dioxide fileters on your car.

solution http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...p;autoview=sku lol..

Quick Reply: Talk about a weird question