F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Talk about a weird question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:02 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Talk about a weird question

Like Tahoe said, It's the exhaust.

It gets into your clothes and you smell like exhaust all the time. No biggie, but it sucks for people with Textile Jackets. Those things SUCK in that smell and never let it go.

Since I switched to leather, I haven't noticed it as much......In fact, my leather jacket just smells like........well.........leather.

One way to lessen the smell is to NOT stand by the bike during warmup. I stopped standing next to it while I waited for it to warm up and it greatly reduced the amount of smell to the point where I don't notice it anymore.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else noticed that a smell gets "stuck" in their nose after riding?
My buddy had a ferret that would love to sleep in his helmet...do you have any pets? On a side note, that thing would love to be put in a pillow case and swung around like a tilt-a-whirl...but I digress.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

Haha - you guys are crazy...

You don't smell like a, "motorcycle." You smell like a Sebring or a Cavalier or a Mustang.

Think about it folks. How often are you even behind your bike? You're no where near the actual exhaust emission when riding...

YOU DONT SMELL LIKE A MOTORCYCLE - YOU SMELL LIKE WHATEVER CARS YOU HAVE BEEN BEHIND ALL DAY.

Crazy.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM

I was sittin here trying to figure out how you guys were smelling like your bikes unless you are just sitting behind the exhaust pipe while its running. I get that smell too but only notice it when im in traffic.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then howcome we don't smell like that when driving in a car with the windows down?

Old 02-07-2007, 04:58 PM

More then likely its because when you are behind a car or truck you are directly in the way of its exhaust. I notice this all the time. No matter how i move i can still fill the hot air from the car in front of me since it just floats up the bike.

Also the size difference as in width of the vehicle.

I dont get the smell as much as in my car then i do when im on the bike but i have the option of letting up the windo and turning on the air. Which im sure most people do when they are in a car and huffin on exhaust.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

Becasue you don't have tailpipes in your face all day dude.

Just think about it for a minute.

Your entire body is completely exposed. Yoursightlines, on most modern sportbikes, is just about level with any SUV, and just above most passenger cars. If you're talking about a big pickup - that **** is right in your face all day long.

You're exactly right, you don't smell like that when in a car. I promise you, think about it for a moment and you'll understand. Hell, go out and ride your bike and take a mental note everytime you get behind a stinky *** car - you'll soon realize where the smell comes from.

Yeah, it's from the exhaust - but it for DAMN sure isn't from yours.

EDIT: Actually, if you ride around with a group it's even worse - that **** is pointing right into your face - unless your leading the entire time... then again, you smell like car exhaust.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Becasue you don't have tailpipes in your face all day dude.

Just think about it for a minute.

Your entire body is completely exposed. Yoursightlines, on most modern sportbikes, is just about level with any SUV, and just above most passenger cars. If you're talking about a big pickup - that **** is right in your face all day long.

You're exactly right, you don't smell like that when in a car. I promise you, think about it for a moment and you'll understand. Hell, go out and ride your bike and take a mental note everytime you get behind a stinky *** car - you'll soon realize where the smell comes from.

Yeah, it's from the exhaust - but it for DAMN sure isn't from yours.

EDIT: Actually, if you ride around with a group it's even worse - that **** is pointing right into your face - unless your leading the entire time... then again, you smell like car exhaust.
its not the cars its your bike. i used to get the same smell on my snowmoblies dirtbikes and quads. your bike has no catalitic converter and the your raw exhuast ceaps into your clothing when you get off the bike. if you notice at a stop and the wind is blowing it will blow the exhuast into you or it you put a bike in a wind tunnel im sure you would see at low speed wind eddys would bring the ehaust back into you. you dont get this smell from cars cuase the catilitic convert and emitions burns off the excess gas and fumes a small portion might be cars but the majority of it comes from the bike its self

Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 PM

I agree with 95camaro... it's because your bike has no catalytic convertor. You'll notice this with cars too right at startup. When you first startup your car, the catalytic convertor doesn't have enough heat to work, thus you'll get that same smell from the exhaust. Once the car is warmed up, the smell is no longer there.

Your bike doesn't have a cat (unless you are in CA), thus that smell is always there

Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 PM

It's true that even though your exhaust points behind you, due to fluid dynamics some of it will probably get pulled up behind you.
This is the reason that vans have warnings against driving with the tailgate open.
I figure it's probably a combination of a bunch of stuff that's not happening in other situations.
Exhaust, Dust, all that stuff. I think it gets in my hair, which sucks the most.
--Acumen

Quick Reply: Talk about a weird question