F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

taking the gas tank off... never done it before

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking the gas tank off... never done it before

I am taking the gas tank off and have never done it before. I got the two bolts up front off and am looking at the lines. Where should i disconect the lines at. the engine side... or the gas tank side. And for the fuel line. How does that come off cause its not clamped on like a normal one. Let me know what I need to do before I take it off.

Thanks
Mike

Old 12-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Default RE: taking the gas tank off... never done it before

all you have to do is unbolt the fuel pumpfrom the bottom and it slides out,you dont have to undo any fuel lines.its realy easy i did it myself when i got my bike painted

Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 PM

you should get a service manual just in case.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 PM

So what would be the best way to drain the gas out if i have to pull the fuel pump out?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:04 AM

Siphoning sucks and doesn't get it all out either! I just took my tank off for the first time about a week ago and just dissconnected the fuel line on the fuel rail on the engine end of things. If you go this way...BE SURE TO CATCH THE DAMN PRESSURE WASHER BEHIND THE END NUT AND THE FUEL LINE!!!!!!
I messed up and dropped that damn washer before I knew that it was there. It landed on top of the tranny and I ended up loosing it after fishing it around for what seemed like a half hour. Other than that, I covered the open end of the fuel rail with a rag to keep it clean and tipped the tank up since it's stull full of fuel. I'd say that dissconnecting the line isn't that bad of a way to go, just as long as you are able to catch that damn washer!

~Adam

Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 AM

I clamp the fuel line and disconnect it at the fuel rail with a rag under it to catch whats left in the rail/end of the line. Just don't use bare pliers or anything like that on the line, I use some vice grips with rubber padding

Old 12-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Users

If you haven't already taken it off, I'll probably be taking mine off again some time between sunday and wednesday to drain it and paint it so if you haven't already done it, I can take the time to take pictures along the way.

Basically the way I do it is by disconnecting the line that goes to the left side of the motorand plugging it up really fast then repositionining the tank so that I can put that fuel line over a bucket and drain all but the last little bit. Then once I get all that I can out of the tank that way, I turn it upside down and pull the fuel pump out and then turn it back over so that the big hole where the fuel pump used to be now lets all the rest of the fuel out.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 PM

Take the main hose off from the fuel rail. You can drain the gas into a gas jug and u will manage to get 90% of the gas out of the tank. Yes u may still have some in the small hoses, but not enough to really worry about. The other few small hoses i would just disconnect from the pump side, as they are just held on by some little metal clamps.........=-)

Heres a dumb story i did.....I took my fuel pressure regulator off becaise i was testing for problems. Well when i put the new FPR on the bike o forgot to put the rubber washer in place where it goes. Needsless to say i had gas pooring all over the damn place and didnt realise what it was until i raised the tank, LMAO....IM A DUMBAZZ...=-)

Old 12-16-2007, 10:58 PM

I didnt have to take the tank all the way off. I just have it hanging in the air by bungees to the grab bar. and its out of the way for me to polish the frame so its good for now.