CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Taking apart the f4i gauge cluster.... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/taking-apart-f4i-gauge-cluster-129485/)

Turbulenz 08-10-2011 06:55 PM

Taking apart the f4i gauge cluster....

Okay so I'm looking at replacing the cluster in my F4 with one from an F4i. I just picked one up and it's complete, but it has some scratches on the MPH LCD part. I know that quite a few F4i owners swap out their LEDs (or have them swapped out) for different colors, so therefore there must be a way to take it apart. If possible, I would love to replace that small rectangle of lexan or whatever with a fresh piece. Here are Zoe questions...

1). I saw Phillips head screws on the back of the cluster and the one silver Allen head bolt in front. If I remove all of those will the front cover simply pull off? Are there any write ups either on here on anywhere online detailing this?

2) is that piece of clear plastic (it feels like plastic) replaceable? Can I simply replace that with the same thickness and size lexan or clear acrylic or whatever?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

jeffjones 08-10-2011 07:20 PM

This should help you get to the circuit board:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...luster-119967/

The allen bolt you dont hav to remove.

Turbulenz 08-10-2011 07:30 PM

Excellent! Thank you very much! I wanted to sure how to disassemble. Any ideas on the lexan question?

jveach 08-10-2011 07:31 PM

He pretty much summed it up for you perfectly,

Not to highjack your thread but I have a similar question, I crashed my bike and it cracked the LCD screen, anyone know if I could buy another gauge cluster and just remove the screen and put it on mine, and the mileage still be correct to my real mileage?

I can't find one on eBay with close to the miles my bike had on it, and I don't wanna screw up the Value of the bike and make it say it has way more miles than bike really does

gotcbr 08-10-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Turbulenz (Post 1088904)
...Any ideas on the lexan question?

How deep are the scratches? I would first try to rehab the finish w/a headlight lens restoration kit (like mother's) b/f taking the next step of replacement.

Jveach reminds me of a point... You'll need to keep track of your bike's true mileage. Depending on your state, upon sale, you may need to sign an affidavit verifying mileage.

Hope your project goes well.

Turbulenz 08-10-2011 08:21 PM

I pulled it apart (so easy btw!)
Most of the scratches aren't bad.. one pass with mothers plastic polish took a lot out.. they are on the outside.. i thought the main ones were on the inside.. but oh well..
I put it back together.. and I will do a bit more of the polish to see how good I can get it. Lexan might not be the best options because of the gray border, and the indicator lights are all part of it..

gotcbr: My bike is over 10 years old.. in NYS any vehicle 10 years or older is exempt from mileage due to its age... my title doesnt even show mileage on it. I will be putting it to the correct miles though just for my own benefit...

gotcbr 08-10-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Turbulenz (Post 1088928)
one pass with mothers plastic polish took a lot out...

gotcbr: My bike is over 10 years old.. in NYS any vehicle 10 years or older is exempt from mileage due to its age... my title doesnt even show mileage on it. I will be putting it to the correct miles though just for my own benefit...

Good to hear that the plastic isn't in need of replacement.

That's great about NYS! Imagine that! :) Talk about a headache saver.

jeffjones 08-10-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by jveach (Post 1088906)

Not to highjack your thread but I have a similar question, I crashed my bike and it cracked the LCD screen, anyone know if I could buy another gauge cluster and just remove the screen and put it on mine, and the mileage still be correct to my real mileage?

Yes, I'm 99% sure you can change the LCD, It is just a display and the actual mileage will be stored in one of the chips on the internal circuit board