CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   t-rex rear stand slippage (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/t-rex-rear-stand-slippage-127643/)

tmacy 06-30-2011 02:17 PM

t-rex rear stand slippage

I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time and actually pulled a ton of great info out of it. Time for a question I haven't found a good solution to yet.

I've got an 04' F4i and I purchased a set of t-rex stands (swingarm/non spool). I've got a ton of work to do on the bike (chain/sprocket replacement, new pads, pull tires for replacement) and am having one little but annoying issue with the swingarm stand. The bike keeps slowly slipping down on the stand to the point the rear tire no longer spins freely. Short of tapping or welding spools (which I'm not quite ready to tackle) has anyone found a good way to hold the damn bike still on the stand for an extended period of time? Seems like when I first got the stand it held up fine but now it's degraded pretty quick to this slipping state. Any ideas would be great as I'd like to knock this work out over the next 2 days as the sun is about to be shining brightly here in PDX!

jeffjones 06-30-2011 02:28 PM

Is it a race stand or spools?
I dont understand how it can slip so your rear tire is on the ground?
I have a race stand and it would break before that happened and I have had my bike on there for months a a time with no problems.

Hope you can find your answer.

Ragnar1x 06-30-2011 02:37 PM

The bike slides? or does the stand slide in? You can try putting a wheel chuck in front of the two wheels on the rear stand to prevent the stand from sliding.

tmacy 06-30-2011 02:45 PM

Sorry, I'll clarify. The stand seems to slip down the swingarm as the swingarm is really just resting on the 2 rubber pads. I've degreased/cleaned the underside of the swingarm to ensure no material would allow it to slide easier. I hadn't considered chucking the wheels. Hell, that may be the simplest solution hah

Xander F4i 06-30-2011 03:04 PM

Double sided tape ;) ....just make sure you remove it afterwards

tmacy 06-30-2011 03:04 PM

Hmm. Alright, I take back some of what I thought might be happening. At first I thought you might be onto something but I threw the bike up on the rear stand and pencil marked the swingarm and pencil marked the floor where the wheels of the stand are. The bike is slowly sliding on the stand but the stand stays put. Freaking weird. I'll have to take a picture later when I have a bit more time.

jeffjones 06-30-2011 03:18 PM

Is there rubber on the pads that hold up your swing arm?

Xander F4i 06-30-2011 03:29 PM

you could put a tire chuck behind the front wheel. but in doing so, the stand may start creeping forward.

Kuroshio 06-30-2011 03:37 PM

I've got a cheap harbor freight rear stand and my bike has never moved.

Put her up on the stand and take some pics. Something is whispering to me that you're not setting the stand up right

MadHattr059 06-30-2011 05:21 PM

I've had my rear-stand creep a little bit on me before, mainly from rocking the bike/turning the front wheel seems to do it. I've got the cheapy harbor freight, like Kuro's.

I've never had it threaten to slide off the stand though. Are you picking up the bike too far forward on the swing-arm? Should be doing the lift just in front of the rear axle.

A cheap fix (besides the double-sided tape...clever that!) could be a couple of cheap c-clamps applied after you do the lift.

Another consideration (if you want to spend the bucks and have room to store it) is a hydralic lift. If I'm doing anything major to my baby, that's what I use. Saves a lot of that bending over, ground-crawling. Got mine at harbor freight for $90 after my dad recommended using one. Glad I did, don't use it constantly, but when I do...Sweet!

Hope all of this helps.

Ern