F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

swingarm out of alignment, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swingarm out of alignment, help!

My hubby and I took off my swingarm as part of my '04's 16K service, bought the special 4 pronged tool, I made the huge allen head wrench to hold it while torquing, used an equivilant swingarm bolt to hold it in place per the manual, followed the manual very closely, we've done a lot of bike work and usually have no problems.[/align][/align]However, this time, after putting about 500 miles on it, I noticed a funny squeak that we've more or less traced to where the swingarm joins the frame.[/align][/align]On the left side, there's about an eighth inch gap between the swingarm join and the frame and the engine. On the right side, there's the same gap on the inside where it attaches to the engine, but is actually touching the frame on the outside - no gap at all.[/align][/align]No parts left over! The two spacer collars are on their proper sides.[/align][/align]Any suggestions?[/align][/align]Thanks,[/align]Susan[/align]

Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Default RE: swingarm out of alignment, help!

Why did you remove the swingarm? I can't find anything in the 16000 mile maintenance of the bike requiring swingarm removal.

Check the adjusting bolt clearances, the manual is a little abiguous there. The other thing is that the pivot collars could possibly be reversed. If not then take it off and try again and see if it comes out right.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks for replying, we took it off to grease the bearings and check everything out, clean it up good. The right pivot collar has a groove in its rim, so that's not mixed up.[/align][/align]Randy did the MMI course - he's pretty competent mechanically. I really like the puzzle aspect of working on bikes, and am a compulsive labeler, as the parts come off...it's fun.[/align][/align]Except when something goes wrong! :' ). Guess the next step it to redo it.[/align]Alas, Grasshopper.[/align]

Old 07-13-2007, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: birdstrike

Why did you remove the swingarm? I can't find anything in the 16000 mile maintenance of the bike requiring swingarm removal.

Check the adjusting bolt clearances, the manual is a little abiguous there. The other thing is that the pivot collars could possibly be reversed. If not then take it off and try again and see if it comes out right.
Another reason we took off the swingarm (besides greasing all the bearings, seals, linkage) was that we replaced Susan's chain and sprockets at the same time. And it's a lot easier/better to assemble the new chain and do the master link rivets in the workbench vise than on the bike.

Yah, and while we haven't finished scoping out everything we also think the issue lies with the alignment of the big, threaded, insert spacers in the frame spars. Will update all after we figger' it out this weekend.

Cheers! E-Ticket