F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

suspension talk and curb feelers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension talk and curb feelers

By adjusting the 2 things for the front suspension what will that do to my bike? I know there are two things that can be adjusted. One with a flat head screwdriver and the other with a wrench or socket. I adjusted my rear compression and rebound I think they're called moved the harder by about 1/8 of a turn. I think I want to adjust my spring too I read that the default is 3 and a lot of people that are lighter than me have it set to 7. I'm 6'1" about 230 lbs. I think I'll stop at advance auto today after work and see if they have one. I know people have tried to explain it before but is there any site that is like suspension for dummies? Like REALLY REALLY retarded people. lol

What are curb feelers? Are they just the short metal things on the bottom outside of my pegs?

Mike

Old 08-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Default RE: suspension talk and curb feelers

1. Pickup an owners manual for the bike. It will answer a lot of questions, and is a good reference for little things until you get used to the bikes features.
2. http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_susp/
3. http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...sion_settings/
4. Those are not "curb feelers" they are "peg feelers" (metal bolts on the bottom of your pegs) and they are designed to let you know before your bike decks out. If you have a stock exhaust leave them alone. If you have an aftermarket pipe AND have not lowered the bike AND have your suspension properly adjusted, you can and SHOULD remove them. Once everything is setup on the bike and the stock exhaust replaced, the peg feelers will deck out before you reach the limit of the bikes lean angle. Until you replace the stock exhaust and setup your suspension you need the peg feelers. They will tell you when you get to the edge. If you go past it then you can deck out hard parts and cause a crash. Once you have everything adjusted, they will just be annoying because you can lean much further than the peg feelers allow. I removed mine because there are times when I have the bike over far enough that my knee,toe, and peg are skimming the tarmac (NOT on the street). Almost time for rearsets.

I just noticed you said you are 230 lbs. Once you learn to ride the bike proficiently, you will probably want to look into getting the shock and forks resprung. The stock springs are designed for a 130lb rider.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:27 AM

"I think I'll stop at advance auto today after work and see if they have one"
what are you talking about?

curb feelers lol

Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Ya black I am currently saving up money to redo the suspension for a fat man. =D Hopefully by next Feb/March I'll have the money and get it redone. I think I'll have the shop do it as I would probably break everything if I tried.

Mike