F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

super-Newbie question : how to pump gas

Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super-Newbie question : how to pump gas

After finishing the MSF and getting my license last week, I decided to ride for the first time to a gas station last night.

F4i is very different from what I rode at MSF (Knighthawk 250) and made me very nervous but, I tried so hard not to look like a newbie rider. (well, I think I blew that up when I accidentally press the horn instead of canceling the signal (everybody looked at me like ”what the..”)… and also, I had hard time closing the fuel cap (took 30 sec) )

My question is (Silly), when I pump the gas, which direction should I insert the nozzle? I tried from the side (didn’t go in deep as cars), and there seems lots of space left for more gas…
Is there a proper way (direction) putting the nozzle inside of tank?
Thanks.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Default RE: super-Newbie question : how to pump gas

Just put the tip in ! Hahahah She will love it.

On a serious note as the level increases as your fueling just continue to back out the nozel keeping it braced on the rim of the opening. Moderate the gas flow when its getting close to full so not to cause any splashing. As soon as the gas hits the nozzle its going to turn the pump off as it thinks your tank is full.

Once you advance you can ride up close to the pump and fuel up and never get off the bike. This will also allow you to add more gas as the tank isnt leaned over to one side.

Just push the cap down firmly and you will see your key move 90 degrees as it clicks shut.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:44 AM

Ok, seeing as I'm a newb too i'll help you out haha. First things first, don't worry about the horn, EVERYONE does it. pretty much everytime i take my hand off the bar to shake it out, I always hit it when i put my hand back on.

As for gas, don't get off the bike, so you can hold it upright and fit more gas in. Also, a bike is not like a car... you DO NOT stick the nozzle ALL the way in to the rubber. just leave it in the whole a little so you can see the level of the gas in the tank. it will NOT shut off automatically, so pay attention or you will spill gas all over yourself and your bike and that sucks.

Good luck and ride with your head

Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 AM
I ♥ CBRF

LOL....I still hit the horn when putting on my turns (3+ yrs riding). Just nod to who ever looks like you meant to do that. I leave the bike on the kickstand and fill up. Don't want too much gas in there or it will leak out your lines.Tankisabout4 gallons so once I hit 3 gallons I start to watch to see when she's full. You'll get use to it with time.

Congrats on the MSF and welcome.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get off the bike, open the cap from the LEFT side of the bike. Sometimes the cap is hard to open. Put the nozzle just slightly into the opening of the tank with the nozzle TOUCHING the edge of opening.This is to prevent any kind of static electricity between nozzle and tank to spark and possibly blow up!
Fill the tank up up to just below the small metal bar that goes across the opening on the far side.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

After finishing the MSF and getting my license last week, I decided to ride for the first time to a gas station last night.
Good to have you on board stock...take some time out and do a search for a thread that is titled 'newbie mistakes'. If you can avoid a lot of the dumb mistakes we all made when we were new then you will be a much happier rider.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:30 AM

congrats on MSF, get out there and practice the drills in a lot.

If this is your first bike, I would strongly recommend you have your gear on all the time and get lots of practice in. the F4i is hardly a beginner bike.

As for the gas the only other tip I have is that I take the hose and I drape it over my shoulder back cause I am always concerned I will step on it and trip up..

Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM

My tip: Don't brace the fuel nozzle against that metal bar that goes across the top of your tank. It can bend from the weight of the fuel nozzle. If it get's bent you'll have some trouble closing the cap. If you do bend it, don't worry, it's not hard to bend back into the correct position. Enjoy the bike!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Also if you put too much fuel it will drain through the hole outside of the opening to the ground under your bike. It took me a while to figure out why the hell every time I fill up I end up with paddle of gas under the bike haha. I though it drains back to the tank.

I remember my first time on the gas station, I also was trying hard to not look like a noob, but ended up getting off from the bike on the right side and spending good 5 minutes trying to figure out how to open and close fuel cap.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:49 PM

I bent that bar he is talking about a long long time ago and I have no trouble closing my lid. Anyways, here is what you do. Put the tip about 2 inshes deep into the tank and rest it wherever you want to on the rim of the hole. Before starting to pump gas go get a paper towel and ball it up but make sure its big enough to cover the rest of the hole with the pump in it. Pump the gas with the auto lever thing on so you dont have to hold it and as soon as it fills to the tip of the pump it will stop and you now have a full tank of gas with no spatter because you had the paper towel.

As for closing the lid, dont try to pull the key out, just shut the lid and put your thumb on the front of the lid and apply pressure as you turn the key and then pull it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: super-Newbie question : how to pump gas