F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Suggestions for shorty exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for shorty exhaust

Sup riders, so I was at a bike event this weekend and this guy on an '02 R6 had a homemade shorty exhaust (GP style like on the gsxrs). The first thing I asked about was the backpressure and he said that by having a 1" opening inside the baffle he was able to maintain backpressure. While I'm not sure if this is true, anyone have any idea where I might be able to get a GP style exhaust for my '02 F4i? I just love that look and if I can't find one then highmount it is.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Default RE: Suggestions for shorty exhaust

i dont know of anyone making shorty's for the F4i right now, but if you want one- just make one. i did it and alot of people on the forum have too. as far as back pressure and engine performance, here is my deal. prior to messing with the exhaust- no problem. when i cut down a yoshi and threw it on the bike, i started having some problems with power gaps and throttle lag and stuff like that, basically poor air-fuel ratios across the board. got a power commander and tuned it- now it sounds, looks, and runs great. but in all fairness, i love the high-mount look too. i just happened to come across this yoshi pipe at a really good price...

Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 AM

I'm not actually talking about a chopped can, I mean like a pipe coming out from under the fairing only 10-12 inches. Mimicking the new gsxr exhausts...

Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM

that would look great, but the problem lies in the fact that the new gsxr's have a great deal of space allocated under the engine between the wheels for that kind of set-up. our bikes don't. so you could either find a way to mount a can under there somehow (which would be awesome) or you could run no can at all and just "straight-pipe" it (not a great idea). if you do decide to mount one under the bike, just watch your clearances... and make sure you take plenty of pics to post on here...

Old 12-21-2006, 05:56 PM

holly 3 times this week i have explained this haha there is no way to properly do this on an f4i unless you take an oval pipe cut it retardedly short and some how remake the header so the collector is at the front of the bottom of the motor and then make a gp tail pipe. the gsxr have a muffler underneath the motor and the gp pipe you are speaking of is just a tail pipe so to speak

Old 12-21-2006, 11:15 PM

I made one by cutting my factory pipe and welding a truck header silencer inside an angle cut exhaust tip for a truck. Then welded that tip on the part that connects to my bikes header. It was loud and obnoxious and I took it off after a week because I didn't want any tickets from the sound police. Great for racing though and looked mean too. I think I could have made a better one if I had more money to test and fit different silencers and baffles to quiet it down, but didn't have money or time so went back to a modded stock pipe.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:28 AM

hey bird, sounds like a pretty good idea. sucks it didnt work out for you. you got any pics of the bike with it on or any of the headers after you welded the modded piece on?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:17 PM

do you think we can use a 99 R6 stock exhaust to cut the can cuz they have the rivets on them to put back on easier. would they even fit on there also??

Old 03-06-2007, 07:32 PM

I just bought a scorpion shorty exhaust for my F4i, scorpion actually makes one that fits the F4i. its the exact same one as on the new R6's. you can go to scorpion exhaust.com and look it up but you can't buy one from the website you have to use the scorpion retail storelocater in your area and order one from that store. stainless steel was $370. but well worth it. the exhaust is called a scorpion street extreme.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 PM

FMF also made a shorty stunt Ti exhaust. it used to be on thier website but i don't see it anymore?

Quick Reply: Suggestions for shorty exhaust