F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sudden hard knocking, dies at idle. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be a lock nut at the bottom and an adjustment nut at the top, by that pic it looks like the lock nut missing, which could cause the timing chain to jump a tooth, but hopefully not.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by RedBaron
There should be a lock nut at the bottom and an adjustment nut at the top, by that pic it looks like the lock nut missing, which could cause the timing chain to jump a tooth, but hopefully not.
Yeah I noticed that when I looked on Google Images at the manual CCT. The shop emailed me back after I explained my situation and they said the service could cost $400+. They are a pretty good shop as far as helping you out with mechanical stuff, they're mostly a dyno performance shop. Do I need to remove the radiator to drop the engine out? One of my top radiator mounting bolts isn't actually a bolt, it's a black shaped bolt that seems welded on or something. I'll link a pic, I don't know how to remove it if it's needed to drop the engine. And also I noticed tiny cracks on my engine block that I wanted to ask about, I don't think they're new but should I be concerned?

Radiator mystery bolt:
Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  174.5 KB

Tiny cracks on engine:
Name:  photo4.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  260.2 KB

Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 PM

i guess the radiator doesnt have to go. the more and more i see of peoples problems the more pictures i see.
one in particular was the the cylinder head out on a cbr600F4 and the radiator and engine still on, i dont think there is much difference, but i dont know 100%
you can however check and adjust valves and timing with the engine mounted in the bike. now would be a good time to download the service manual, you can google and find it easy enough
i yanked this from another site
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...camremoved.jpg
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...t=85499&page=3

Last edited by RudyGT; 10-02-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: picture
Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 PM

No crack In the engine block is good obviously but like they previously stated doing a compression check would tell you whether or not those cracks are anything of concern. About that bolt, I have no clue lol but I agree with rudygt now would be a fantastic time to get the service manual. It's a great resource and reference to have when doing any work on your bike. Hope it's nothing to detrimental keep us updated

Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM

Is the radiator mystery bolt the radiator mount grommet to the frame? When I changed my spark plugs this spring, you pull the radiator from the "boss" to swing the radiator out of the way.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by YeOldeF4i
Is the radiator mystery bolt the radiator mount grommet to the frame? When I changed my spark plugs this spring, you pull the radiator from the "boss" to swing the radiator out of the way.
Wow I didn't think about that. I hadn't disconnected the radiator completely so I never tried. I'll give that a shot thanks.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

compression test, compression test, compression

also, dont take off ur radiator. unless you plan on removing the head or something.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CCT got that loose - timing went out at 11k whacked the valves- just an opinion

Hopefully the shop says otherwise - hopefully

Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 PM

^^^^ worst case scenario, compression and leakdown test!!! also post an update

Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Default Update

Hey guys, while I was getting the engine ready to be removed from the frame I realized I didn't have the socket/tool to remove the suspension engine mount bolts. So tonight I decided to just remove the valve cover since the engine is easy to get to now, and I found two things. The cylinder on the far right (from seated position) has some white build-up in its exhaust port that has the consistency of regular carbon buildup. And THIS! Which my intuition tells me about those lines is a skipped timing chain, so improper timing and maybe valves striking the pistons. Feedback appreciated! Both of those lines should be aligned correct?

Name:  Timing-1.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  304.2 KB

Quick Reply: Sudden hard knocking, dies at idle. Advice?