CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Stressing! Do I got a blown head gasket (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/stressing-do-i-got-blown-head-gasket-105951/)

cbrfreak47 02-12-2010 05:24 PM

Stressing! Do I got a blown head gasket

So today I finally had extra money to change my oil it's been about 4,000 miles since the last time. I change my oil with Honda brand oil and an oem replacement filter. So after I warm my bike for about 2-3 mins I loosen the oil drain bolt and drain the oil. It's been a while so my oils pretty dark. I take off the oil filter and oil comes out and it's also quite dark and not so much milky looking but a slightly dark milky look to it. I just wanna know if I got the early stages of a BHG. I haven't had any overheating problems, no white smoke coming out the exhaust, the overflow coolent tank looks good no discoloration. I don't know if I'm over reacting or what it doesn't look like other pictures I've seen when I searched google but iono help me out.

skoobydoobie 02-12-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfreak47 (Post 882971)
I change my oil with Honda brand oil and an oem replacement filter.

What a waste of money. Rotella T (blue jug) and a wal-mart filter (for a civic) will give you BETTER protection for LESS money. (bout half as much as the Honda crap).
As for the Head gasket, check the coolant level, if its low its goin somewhere. The cooling system is high pressure and the oil pressure is low, therefore your coolant will not be discolored, but oil will be milky. Since you said it was black (and not yellowish brown), then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

HenryM 02-12-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie (Post 882984)
What a waste of money. Rotella T (blue jug) and a wal-mart filter (for a civic) will give you BETTER protection for LESS money. (bout half as much as the Honda crap).
As for the Head gasket, check the coolant level, if its low its goin somewhere. The cooling system is high pressure and the oil pressure is low, therefore your coolant will not be discolored, but oil will be milky. Since you said it was black (and not yellowish brown), then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I agree. No more to say. Just keep an eye on it over the next few hundred miles.

fairman86 02-12-2010 06:14 PM

also depending on the area you live in, humidity is a huge factor of milky crud in your oil. short drives and only having the bike up to temp for a short period with humid conditions usually end up with milk deposits.

cbrfreak47 02-12-2010 10:38 PM

I get the oil and filter and washer from Honda for 31$ that's with my boys discount but I think Ima take your guys advise on the rotella and civic filter and yeah thanks for the advise I'll check the level for the coolent when I get home and I live in Sacramento,ca btw

vangill 02-12-2010 10:44 PM

when i changed my oil it looked gross like that, to me the synthetic oil looks milkyish when its old and crappy and used. my bikes fine

cbrfreak47 02-12-2010 11:14 PM

Man that makes me free a hell of alot better the only reason why I worry so is that I had to change a head gasket on my s13 (Nissan 240sx) drift car and it was a pain so I'm not tryna be at it again with this one