CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Strange FI light issue (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/strange-fi-light-issue-122602/)

Kevin48 03-18-2011 02:14 PM

Strange FI light issue

I initially posted the below paragraph in a FI light post from 2008 that i guess people dont check to frequently so im starting a new thread on it hoping to get some advice. I have searched ALOT of other posts on this FI light issue but none seem to have the same issue I am. I have checked wire connections, battery, oil is good, gas is good. For those of you that are going to be upset I made a new post of this, let me apologize now, im just trying to get a little help.

Hey everyone, here is my new FI light issue that I hope you guys can help me out with. I have read most of this post and its nothing like the issues some of you are experiencing. Actually the only issue is the light coming on itself. Im not having any bucking, rmp issues, bike dying.....nothing. I was out riding yesterday, bike running fine and at some point I looked down and the light was on. When I got home, I let the bike sit for a few minutes, turned the key to the on position and the light turned off. I then went out for a 5 min ride to see if it came on again and it and it didn't. I then went out for a ride today to see if it happened again and this time, about 10 minutes into the ride I noticed that right before it came on, the speedometer went to 0. The speedometer was working fine, went to 0, light came on and the speedometer started working fine again?? I got home and checked the battery which is fine, gas is good and even put a little bit of injector cleaner in it. I dont see any loose wires anywhere? Also when the speedometer went to 0, the rpm's worked fine. Im stumped on this one, anyone have any advice?? Like I said above, the only issue im having with the bike at this time, is the light itself turning on for some reason.

Kevin48 03-18-2011 08:34 PM

Update.......so when I posted above, i noticed that this FI light issued when got into the high RPM range? So I went out again tonight and never took it over 8k RPM's and 19 miles later, speedo is working fine and no light came on. Well on my way home, my theory of the high RPM was shot down. While cruising at about 5k RPM, speedo went to 0 then the light came on?? When I got to the next traffic light, I turned the bike off then on and the FI light was out again. For the next 15 miles speedo worked and no FI light. When I was almost home, i figured I would try to get the light to come on by riding into the high RPM's and of course the light does NOT come on??? Im really at a loss with this issue, I have no idea whats going on.

MadHattr059 03-19-2011 08:39 AM

Sounds like a loose connector to the gauges. Vibration is causing the connection to intermittently break, thus resetting the them. Check all the connectors to the guages for tightness and/or hose them with contact cleaner. That is the cheapest place to start. Good luck, Ern

itlnF4I 03-19-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 (Post 1027452)
Sounds like a loose connector to the gauges. Vibration is causing the connection to intermittently break, thus resetting the them. Check all the connectors to the guages for tightness and/or hose them with contact cleaner. That is the cheapest place to start. Good luck, Ern

i had an FI light issue that it would come on without the key being in, mos tof the gauge functions werent working, it ended up being two tiny harnesses insise the cluster where the wires go in. theres 2 screws to a cap where the wires go in, unscrew them and youll see exactly what im talking about. fixed all of my gauge issues. its free and worth a shot

Kevin48 03-19-2011 11:42 AM

Thanks, Ill pull off the gauge cluster and check it out. Ill update if this was the problem. I was starting to think I was the only person this ever happened to lol.

Xander F4i 03-19-2011 12:48 PM

you can pull any FI codes by placing a jumper wire in connector between the two ECU plugs.

though I would check the harness connections in the back of the gauge cluster and off the main harness first

iJapanesey 03-20-2011 01:40 AM

It's your (VSS) Speed sensor. Take it out and clean it first. If it's still throwing your F1 code and jumping / reading zero, replace it.

Kevin48 03-20-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey (Post 1027803)
It's your (VSS) Speed sensor. Take it out and clean it first. If it's still throwing your F1 code and jumping / reading zero, replace it.

Where is this sensor?? I spent the better half of my morning pulling off the front fairing, disconnecting all the wires and cleaning them good with an electrical spray cleaner. Everything behind the headlights was pretty dusty so after i cleaned everything really good, sprayed all the electrical connections , put it all back together and went for a ride...............i got on the throttle a bit, speedo went to 0, FI light came on.... FML!!!!!!!

iJapanesey 03-20-2011 10:14 PM

Sorry you wasted your time. Throw all the other posts out the window and start from mine. 100% it's the VSS.

The sensor sits on your tranny right in front of your rear shock. The manual calls to take off the throttle bodies, but I say to lift your tank, and use 3 socket wrench extensions. The sensor has 2 screws(10mm I think). There are 2 wires(pink / green) coming from it.

I have a VSS for sale($30) if you need one. BUT CLEAN IT FIRST and reinstall to see if the problem disappears!

Mendigo Azul 09-22-2011 06:54 PM

iJapanesey, i have the same problem. who would i go about cleaning it??
thanks!