F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Storing My Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing My Bike

Hey guys and possible gals,

Im new to this forum and new to riding alltogether so I apologize in advance if I dont make any sense sometimes cuz I dont know all the lingo yet. Anyhow I'm riding an 02 F41 with 15000 kms (yes I'm Canadian) and unfortunatly I've already got a handful of speeding and careless tickets so I have to put riding on hold till my record clears up. I have a full tank of gas, i've added stabilizer, put fresh oil and filter, put the battery on a battery tender, and put the bike on stands. It's not going to move or run vey often for probably the next 2 years. I fire it up about once a month and sometime when I'm brave or stupid, I take it out for a quick uninsured boot! Have I done the right things for storing it, and what do i need to do when I'm going to be riding it daily again?

Old 08-25-2007, 07:03 AM
Default RE: Storing My Bike

I normally would put a cover on my ride when storing over the winter months. That will help keep dust and stuff from getting into the exhaust and all over the bike.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:20 AM

i would put some chain wax on after one of your lil rides to keep it from getting rusty.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanx for your input guys, should I drain the gas out of the tank? Or is it better to leave it with the stabilizer in it and run it once in a while?

Old 08-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Retired Moderator

I'd run it once and again, but only if you can do that about once a month over the next two years. I do not winterize my bikes but that sometimes means I have to ride out in the cold and rain and so forth for about fifteen minutes. Last year was wierd here, and it snowed, then it would clear up and I was able to ride just enough. You can't just let it idle in the garage...you have to ride. Two years is a long time, at some point you may want to drain the tank. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:55 PM

Yeah the only thing stopping me is the insurance company bending me over the table! I just dont want to get caught driving with no insurance, I'm just not sure whats best for the bike, running it once a month or draining the fluids and letting it sit?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 PM

a local shop owner. who just retired from racing last year, says when storing a bike, get sta-bill or w/e that stuff is and pour it in the tank, top off the tank with gas, let it run for a bit so it gets mixed and in the fuel lines and such.
2yrs would be a long time to have a bike sit... is selling it not an optioin and then buy another bike when your ready?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:45 PM

Ya know i did think about selling itbuti'm way too attached. We have history to gether. Lots of time and money that I wouldnt get back in resale, we've exchanged bodily fluids!, she's like my first girl friend! plus looking to find the "right" bike again. Its all paid off, its the way I want, why get rid of it. Ive heard stories of guys having motorcycles handed down from their old man that have sat for 10 years, changing the fluids and plugs and firin her right up. I have put the stabil in it but I think that only last a year, it wouldnt be a big deal if honda would have put a damn drain line on the tank! Theirs no easy way to drain it, and really is it better empty or full?

Old 08-26-2007, 05:47 AM

owner's manual says to top it off. there's probably a seal or something that could dry out and crack/leak if not submurged in fuel. who knows. top it off...

Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 AM

full tank.. if its not full, it will leave room for moisture.. which will lead to rusting, which ends up costing you money to get the tank dipped and re sealed or lined with whatever the stuff is.
i dont know if it would make a difference. but if you kept the tank inside the house in so its room temp all the time... empty of course and rinsed of fuel.... just an idea