F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Stored for over 1 year, will not start now

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stored for over 1 year, will not start now

Hey

I have an 03 f4i that was stored for over 1 year, I brought it out last weekend and tired to start it. The fuel pump is priming, the starter sounds like its trying to start, and there is no blinking of the f4i light. I took it apart today and checked the fuel lines and air lines, which seem to be in good cond. I also took the plugs out and they had a good gap and good cond. I turned it over a few times and did have a good spark out of all plugs. I put it back together and tried it, with no luck, recheck the conections and still just the the sound of it trying to start but not being able to turn over. Anybody have any ideas? Its pretty much stock except for a power commander and slip on.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gongshow09
Hey

I have an 03 f4i that was stored for over 1 year, I brought it out last weekend and tired to start it. The fuel pump is priming, the starter sounds like its trying to start, and there is no blinking of the f4i light. I took it apart today and checked the fuel lines and air lines, which seem to be in good cond. I also took the plugs out and they had a good gap and good cond. I turned it over a few times and did have a good spark out of all plugs. I put it back together and tried it, with no luck, recheck the conections and still just the the sound of it trying to start but not being able to turn over. Anybody have any ideas? Its pretty much stock except for a power commander and slip on.
Drain the gas and put fresh in it.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:50 PM

I drained all the gas when I took the tank off for the plugs, and I put new stuff in after I put it back together

Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM

I drained all the gas when I took the tank off for the plugs, and I put new stuff in after I put it back together
ummm, did it have stabilizer in it (the gas) when it was stored?If not get some seafoam and try cleaning the injectors.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:09 AM

When these things sit for too long the FPR goes bad. Try the seafoam, but you'll probly have to replace the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator).

Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 AM

still just the the sound of it trying to start but not being able to turn over.
wait...so you say it doesn't turn over? Does the engine crank normal starting speed but its just not firing? Try some starting fluid either through the front ram air ducts or straight into the throttle bodies

Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM

So I tried the starting fluid and got the engine to start but within 10 sec it just slowly died, which leads me to believe that the plugs aren't getting fuel. I tried to run the seafoam through it but with no results. I think that its either the FPR or that the injectors are plugged, does anyone have any other ideas. Also when I tried to rev the engine a bit with the starting fluid, there was a loud clicking sound coming from the bottom of the engine, so I stopped right away, but it sounded normal during Idle. How would I diagnose that its the FPR anyways?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM

They usually get stuck "open", then you pull off the "outlet" hose and watch the fuel pour out. If it is the FPR then its stuck "closed", and I dont think that blowing air through it is such a great idea, might hurt more than help. Was there any rust in the tank? Whens the last time the fuel filter was changed? Did you pinch a hose when you put it all back together? Something is blocked, start at one end (tank) and work your way to the other (TB).

Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Hey guys. I finally got it started today, I changed the plugs and disconnected the power commander and she started up right away. I did run some seafoam through it before and I know the white cloud is normal, but I also noticed that I have some oil leaking from the connection where my slip-on connects to the exhaust, so its passing oil now. Does this mean that I have gasket problems, or could it just be that I havn't started it in a long time. I also just changed the oil 2 days ago, and didn't noticed any thing wrong with the old oil. Thanks again

Old 04-30-2009, 03:01 PM

oh ya the exhaust smoke is white, I didn't notice any blue tinge to it that would tell me thats its burning oil, but its definitaly oil that is leaking out that bottom connection. I let it run for a good 15 min and as it warmed up, it started to put out more smoke. But the bike itself sounded like fine.

Quick Reply: Stored for over 1 year, will not start now