F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

stock sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock sprocket

My bike has a 46 stamped on its sproket.. is 46t the standard rear sprocket on the 2002 F4i?

my chain is way loose and i was going to be getting a new chain but i didnt know if my sprocket was Factory as well

thanks guys

Old 02-21-2009, 03:00 PM

its the stock sprocket yes.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 PM

Heres a tip on new chains. If you get a new chain, you are going to want to replace your front and rear sprockets. The wear of the old spockets on a new chain will chew it up. Its a combo deal, replace one, you need to replace the other.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stephens
Heres a tip on new chains. If you get a new chain, you are going to want to replace your front and rear sprockets. The wear of the old spockets on a new chain will chew it up. Its a combo deal, replace one, you need to replace the other.
any idea what i am looking at cost wise? my sprockets look very new... it was just the chian that wasnt lubed and not maintained well that seems to have taken a beating

and what is the stock chain? is it a 520 108 link?

Last edited by chiefF3; 02-21-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added question
Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 PM

the stock chain is a 525 but i forget the exact number of links oh i think its 114 to 116 links

Old 02-21-2009, 09:09 PM

I got a kit with two sprockets and a new chain for like 150. I put in a 15 sprocket in the front and kept the back at 46. And put in a 520 chain. Got it off of ebay.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to find a kit with a steel rear sprocket. There is NO advantage to getting a 520 kit. Technically its lighter, therefore has less reciprocating mass, and supposedly making you faster. HAH, the only way you'll ever notice it is if you're shaving TENTHS of a second off you lap time. Plus the wear out faster than their 525 counterparts. Contact the eBay seller "moto-heaven" (or haven) they know their sht. You tell them what you're tryin to achieve (Stuntin, cruisin, or lotsa freeway ridin, ect.) and they'll send you what you need. for like 150+-. They have colored chains too.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 AM

i guess i better start saving my pennies then dAMN

Old 02-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Yah, I did the 520 conversion and didn't really see much difference. The main change was the -1 on the front sprocket. The gauging of 520,525,530 is based on the engine size. Stock is 525 and bikes with bigger engines, 1000 on up are 530 weight for your chain. So if you go 520 and don't change your gears, you probably won't notice much.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Default BIGGER Front Sprocket for F4i? (Touring, not Track focussed)

I've searched this whole forum for info on people INCREASING the size of the front sprocket for the F4i to reduce its cruising engine speed, but about 95% of sprocket change topics relate to reducing the standard 16 front tooth to 15 tooth (to increase acceleration) .... so apologies if I'm asking a question that may already be covered, but I can't find info on increasing the Front Sprocket size.

I use my F4i mainly as a tourer, not a track bike.

Anyway, after riding about 1200km (800 miles) last weekend, I've decided I want to make my F4i cruise a little QUIETER, perhaps bring the cruising 5500rpm down a bit, which will also improve fuel economy and increase my range, which is important so I have that extra bit in the tank before the next fuel stop. I know for a fact increasing the front sprocket size and / or reducing the rear sprocket size will achieve this (I know track riders also do this to increase top speed).

I'm also aware a Speedo Healer will be required to correct the speedometer readings once the overall gear ratios are changed.

I believe my engine has enough torque from 4500rpm to overtake comfortably, so I'm not concerned about cruising at 4500rpm instead of 5500rpm (I can always downchange if 4500rpm is not strong enough).

Can someone (preferably who has done this before) advise:

- what's a good sprocket combination size to reduce cruising engine speed - say a 17/45 front/rear combination?
- what's a good chain to go with this (I'll need to replace my chain soon, that's why I'm taking opportunity to do all this)
- will the Speedo Healer cover this combination
- perhaps there's a chain/sprocket package from a company that does this (including perhaps a Speedo Healer) - can you advise the company.
- what concerns do I need to watch out for, eg. overall chain length / tension, overall reliability, effect on 1st gear take offs etc ...

Again I apologise if this topic has been covered, I honestly cannot locate the topics, so any advice appreciated.

Quick Reply: stock sprocket