F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Stock fender modification of 05 F4i?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock fender modification of 05 F4i?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has pretty much just cut the stock plastic fender right below the turn signals horizontally and relocated the license plate up underneath the tail light. I've been eyeballing it for the past couple days and it seems like it should work out fine drilling and cutting into the plastic, but would like some words from the wise to tell me to proceed or not.

Thanks
Dan

Old 09-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Default RE: Stock fender modification of 05 F4i?

When I first got my bike I did that within an hour of owning it. I ride an 01 so I dont know if there is much difference but I found it very easy. I just left about 1/2" to mount the plate to. I just used a hand held jigsaw with a plastic cutting blade. It doesnt have to be to pretty beacause youreplate will hide it.Its a quick fix until you get an undertail kit installed and it makes a world of a difference. I will never understand why the manufacturers of all sport bikes insist on making a huge tail peice like that? Sport bikes have such beautiful curves and smooth lines and than BAM! that huge honkin plastic! I dont get it!

Good Luck!

Old 09-28-2007, 10:55 AM

I had an 06 f4i and I did the same thing. I used a hand-held sheetrock jig saw and it was easy. You do end up with a big hole there that the plate sort of hides, but its much better when you get an undertail that you can just slip in there to cover it.

matt

Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 PM

i put mine right up agenst the brake light. and then cut a hole in the under part and moved my seat relase lock. it looks good ill post pics when i get off of work.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:27 PM
BB

ORIGINAL: Upon1

I will never understand why the manufacturers of all sport bikes insist on making a huge tail peice like that? Sport bikes have such beautiful curves and smooth lines and than BAM! that huge honkin plastic! I dont get it!

Good Luck!
It's not the manufacturers, it's government regulations. Same reason we have reflectors that we end up taking off as soon as it leaves the showroom floor.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the input guys, ive been doing some searching on the forums and found pictures of other people that did the same thing. I'm pretty sure they put that huge mud flap on the back just incase we plan on doing some offroading. hahah I'll be doing this on Sunday and I'll put pictures up when I have it finished.

If anyone else has pictures of there bikes with the fender cut, I would be glad to check them out.
-Dan

Old 09-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BB

ORIGINAL: Upon1

I will never understand why the manufacturers of all sport bikes insist on making a huge tail peice like that? Sport bikes have such beautiful curves and smooth lines and than BAM! that huge honkin plastic! I dont get it!

Good Luck!
It's not the manufacturers, it's government regulations. Same reason we have reflectors that we end up taking off as soon as it leaves the showroom floor.
Reflectors? What are they?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Heres mine:

It was really easy, I just used a Skil saw and jig saw for the corners.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the pic Roland.... KEEP ON ROCKIN!! I checked out your band's myspace, you guys are good!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:13 PM

I don't understand why people will go and spend thousands of $ on a bike and then do a half *** hacksaw fender eliminator that looks like crap. Spend the $100 and get one from competition werkes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1578/50C93D1F79494BA9ABDFA32CA19E909F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Stock fender modification of 05 F4i?