F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Still won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still won't start...

I have posted something before about my issues, but I figured I'd make a fresh post with everything up to date.

Here's the deal:
I brought my bike home from school in October and put it in my dad's heated garage. I didn't have the time to do anything to winterize it before I had to leave again so it just sat for a few weeks. Then I came back home and started it up for a while to run it a bit. Then I was planning to take the plugs out and put some oil in there to prevent rust and whatnot like it says in the manual. I ended up not getting to that, but did pull the radiator down and pulled the battery to put on a charger. A couple weeks later since I didn't get any oil in the cylinders I wanted to run the bike a bit to make sure everything was lubricated properly. So I attempted to start it up and it ran for a few seconds and shut off. It hasn't started since.

I've looked at all the plugs and they seemed like they might be kind of fouled so I cleaned them up the best I could and put them back in. No luck, and they were wet with gas when I took them out again. I checked each plug with each coil on each spark plug wire and they all spark just fine. The bike still won't start and I have no idea what to check. It seems like it should start, but all it does it turn over and doesn't fire.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Still won't start...

Gas...check
Spark...check
Air...? (probably a check here too)

I'd recommend you ensure your battery connections are tight and the voltage is up to snuff. Usually not recommended on a FI bike, but check that the kill switch is set to the "ON" position.

More troubleshooting

Bike in Neutral?
Clutch pulled
Sidestand Position (up/down)

Old 01-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see if the oil smells like gas. pull the plugs again and see if there wet again. The FPR has a tendency to deteriate when these bikes set. To test it pull the vacuum line comming off the bottom of it going to the cylinders and see if it has gas in it.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM

I'm assuming it's getting air. I'm not sure how you would go about checking that exactly anyway. The battery is in good condition and connections were tight. I took it out right now and put it on a charger. Bike was in neutral, the clutch wasn't pulled since it was in neutral, and the sidestand was down. What do you mean by that it's not recommended on an FI bike to check that the kill switch is set to the "ON" position?

And what is the FPR?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: stupidlogic

I'm assuming it's getting air. I'm not sure how you would go about checking that exactly anyway.
It was a joke (sort of). If you wanna get gung-ho, you should see the throttle bodies move as you twist the throttle. Probably not an issue at this point, but it could be worth it to check your airbox for foreign debris.

the clutch wasn't pulled since it was in neutral, and the sidestand was down.
Pull the clutch anyway. We're troubleshooting, remember?

What do you mean by that it's not recommended on an FI bike to check that the kill switch is set to the "ON" position?
More humor. But please check the state of the run/kill switch. Many a rider has been stumped by this one.

And what is the FPR?
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 PM

Im not being a smartass, but did you put the radiator back on the bike. They have asensor in them that tell the computer if it has coolant or not and will shut it off if not.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Won't be the clutch, kickstand, or bank angle sensor since all 3 of those will keep your starter from cranking. You said the plugs were wet with gas. Did you smell a strong fuel smell when trying to start her? A stuck FPR could be a culprit, but not 100%.

Check out my post here:

https://cbrforum.com/m_698107/tm.htm

Old 01-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Does the fuel pump prime up when you turn the key on?

This should tell you which direction to start troubleshooting in.....=-)

Old 01-06-2009, 09:55 AM

I had the same issue back last winter, I ran my bike every week and one week it ran for about a minute and then died, after that I could try to start it, fuel pump primed, tried to start, but no luck. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them and tried again no luck, so I decided to try a cheaper route then taking it to a pro and get some spark plugs, NGK plugs seem to work excellent for me, I dropped 4 new ones in and it started right up and ran like a champ.
Even if its not your plugs it is about time you get new ones anyways.
Try some nice new plugs and see how she does.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I've been busy so far this week scouting for jobs for after I graduate and haven't had time to work on the bike, but I'll let you know how things go when I get a chance.

Quick Reply: Still won't start...